Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   AQo against a tight aggressive (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=111092)

Festus22 08-09-2004 06:22 AM

Re: AQo against a tight aggressive

"Read is tight aggressive."

"At what point do I lay this hand down...or do I?"

Preflop.

chief444 08-09-2004 07:35 AM

Calling pf is the worst option. I'd lean towards folding here against a TAG opponent, 3-betting would be a distant second, and calling a very distant 3rd.

Other than that it was played well. Good flop check/raise and after getting it heads-up I'm check/calling down as well.

tardigrade 08-09-2004 08:07 AM

Barring the results, I think you played the odds ok post-flop.

But it's a great illustration of why you can happily lay down AQ pre-flop against a player with high raising standards. It's disheartening to call 2 cold with a hand that is at best slightly behind to JJ or at worst horribly dominated by AA, KK, QQ, AK.

Rico Suave 08-09-2004 09:45 AM

brichr:

I agree with most...fold preflop if you are unwilling to 3-bet. Deciding whether to fold or 3-bet, imo, is a function of how bad the UTG limper is (and whether MP2 knows this) and what range of hands would he raise here. If MP2 is aggressive preflop, than 3-betting is not bad at all. If I were in MP2--3 OTB-- and a super loose limps, and I have tighties to my left, I would raise a wide range of hands here. (KJo, 88, ATo, KTs, etc.) But the majority of the time, I muck.

Post flop is played well. Folding at any point post flop is bad, imho.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have represented a flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, MP2 likes his hand, you are not pushing him off of his big Ace here.

--Rico

brichr 08-09-2004 11:22 AM

Thanks to all for the advice.

Al Mirpuri 08-09-2004 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MP2. Read is tight aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop: MP2 raises....

This should have ended your hand right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely right.

spamuell 08-09-2004 12:34 PM

Buy John Feeney's Inside the Poker Mind and read the chapter entitled Do you pass the Ace-Queen test?

People here could just tell you to fold AQo out of position pre-flop to a raise from a TAG but the book is excellent and I think you should read it anyway, even if you're playing micros, just because the concepts discussed are so good.

Rico Suave 08-09-2004 12:45 PM

Al Mirpuri:

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MP2. Read is tight aggressive.

Preflop: MP2 raises....

This should have ended your hand right there.

Absolutely right.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not solely directed to you Al, but to everyone who is saying "TAG raises, fold AQ." While I agree that I would probably fold here most of the time, I do not think 3-betting here is all that bad against a TAG raise. This is not an EP raise...MP2 is raising one limper 2 off of the button. Most TAGs (at least most 2+2 type TAGs) are raising a wide range of hands here. I understand that your position sucks, and that makes me lean toward a fold, especially if I did not know my opponent well. If MP2 were Clarkmeister, wouldn't you be giving up quite a bit by folding to his raise here? Am I all alone in thinking that a 3-bet is not a distant 2nd choice in the situation described?

--Rico

chief444 08-09-2004 12:51 PM

"A distant 2nd" was probably not the best choice of words in my post Rico. I agree that 3-betting is not that far behind a fold. My biggest issue was the cold-call though from anywhere but the BB.

kiemo 08-09-2004 01:11 PM

I fold this preflop, but then again I try to ditch AQo in a heartbeat for reasons as simple as the sun is shining.

To me the 3 bet on the flop means AK. And I give serious consideration to folding there.