Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Im sure you all will hate this (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=344755)

James282 09-26-2005 04:07 PM

Re: Im sure you all will hate this

[ QUOTE ]
Playing a little online poker this morning and I pick up the AhJd in the BB. 5 limps to the sb who raises. I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're overdoing it. If you think calling has an expectation worse than .5bb/hand then you are living in candy land.
-James

Subfallen 09-26-2005 04:09 PM

Worse than -0.5 BB/hand, no?

DcifrThs 09-26-2005 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as i understand the situation it goes like this:

your expectation IN the BB is -.5

your expectation GIVEN you posted the BB in the hand and now have to call a raise is 0 if you fold. if you call, you start off at -.5 and adjust based on your expection in the hand. so if you have an expectation of greater than .5bbs CALLING the raise, then youshould call because then your expectation exceeds the cost of the call.

this assumes you do not include the cost of the call in your EV calculation. if you do, which is normally the case, then you should call if your EV>0

Barron

James282 09-26-2005 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, sorry about the typo.
-James

DcifrThs 09-26-2005 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-James

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i misunderstood the concept here. i guess it depends what you are including in your EV calculation. I assumed EV of folding was 0, if the EV of folding is -.5 then you are correct, ... just depends where you put what

Barron

J.A.Sucker 09-26-2005 04:23 PM

Fine with me. I will call with any two suited though, here, unless this thing's gonna get capped behind me, but that isn't the case in my online experience.

James282 09-26-2005 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-James

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i misunderstood the concept
here. i guess it depends what you are including in your EV calculation. I assumed EV of folding was 0, if the EV of folding is -.5 then you are correct, ... just depends where you put what

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

All I am saying is that if you fold you have an expectation of -.5bb/hand. If you invest 1 more SB you only have to have to make better than -.5bb per hand! Folding is awful, no two ways about it.
-James

Peter_rus 09-26-2005 04:30 PM

Last time i like 3-betting in such spots quite often if i feel that i can clean out field from 2-4 limpers. Though calling is also +ev obviously.

obi---one 09-26-2005 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Using this logic you should call with any 2 here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do call almost any two here, but i agree that aj isnt one of my favorites. give me 58 or something.

BarronVangorToth 09-26-2005 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

what flop is he gonna see that he is happy with? do you insta muck if it comes xxx and SB fires a continuation?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are enough flops that I will see that I'll like enough to warrant putting .5 BB up pre-flop into what is now a 7BB pot post-flop.

You don't need the "miracle" JJx / KQ10 rainbow flop in order to like AJo.

I'm not sure where all of this folding stuff is coming from - we have the one thread where people want to fold A2s pre-flop 7-way on the button and now folding AJo for 1 SB in a soon-to-be 7BB pot.

Not EV. Not a'tall.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com