Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Tournament Tactics Question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=265589)

hotdog da 2rd 06-24-2005 07:29 AM

Re: Tournament Tactics Question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fold, your objective is to double up, not add insignificant chips to your stack. with 5 more hands to go before big blind, you're bound to pick up a better hand than 8 high.

[/ QUOTE ]

No comprendo and if I do then I'm pretty sure this is wrong. Stealing the blinds and antes here is ~11k, more than half of what you've currently got. You will get a better hand during this lap but usually someone will have raised before it gets to you and you have no folding equity vs an original raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL, i don't remember making that first post but anyway here goes. yes, the 11k steal is more than half your stack but that's not the reason it's insignificant. it's insignificant because due to the fact that shortest stack is 50k, you having 31k or 20k is not really important to anyone. stealing that 11k will not put you in a position to do anything.

the best you can do is sit around and pray. everyone at the table is waiting for you to bust out and coming outta your shell just makes you a target, not a threat.i say fold, just my 2 cent.

hotdog da 2rd 06-24-2005 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"i'm constantly amazed at how many people get split down the middle while saying, "it's not even close", when sklansky puts these questions up."

That's why I get paid the big bucks. I give good questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

why is this thing soooooooo long. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

hotdog da 2rd 06-24-2005 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Vince, have you ever played in a WPT? 4 more players need to lose to make the money. This will not happen quickly. Hero certainly won't be able to fold into the money, and stealing these blinds will significantly increase his chances of moneying.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have. the question here is not about folding into the money, it's about playing 8-6 on the button or waiting for a showdown hand.

gergery 06-24-2005 08:15 PM

Easy push.

While Prock is correct that the hand itself is roughly close to EV neutral being better than a random hand only 68% of the time or so, the factors beyond just this hand take precedence:

1) you can get your chips first in which is unlikely to occur again a WPT table, and

2) your stack is dwindling too quickly meaning future double ups will help you that much less. (doubling up the next hand earns you 1k less than doubling this hand, and you must effectively double up many times yet to get real EV)

--Greg

sketchy1 06-24-2005 08:49 PM

I'm not a typical poster but Raymer was just eliminated here at the $1,500 final table so I thought I'd answer this interesting question.

My personal motives don't involve just breaking even on the event, as much as that is a -EV proposition. I would be wanting to increase my chances to win $1m.

You didn't inform us how many were seated at the table, but I'll assume nine. In that case, there's $10,500 in the pot and I have $20k. If the blinds had less chips this would be an automatic all-in, but since calling just $20k total would mean they are only calling off about 1/7 of their stacks, I would expect to get called with any pair, any ace, and any two cards ten or higher more than likely. They are looking to gamble and knock someone out.

If I had $30k or more, I would move all-in. However, with $20k, I would fold. I haven't done any calculations, it's just what I would do if I was at the table and didn't have time to do the proper math and just estimated all in my head. It's close. If I had at least a ten in my hand, I would move in.

d10 06-25-2005 01:26 AM

Why is this thread still active?

I thought David made it clear that the reason for posting this was to promote HOH:V2. This book is now out and contains the answer.