Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch it? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=358180)

Voltron87 10-23-2005 08:55 PM

Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch

rick is pretty much right here guys. im not going to argue specifics since i havent read the whole thread but he is basically correct.

concacaf is a total cakewalk, the us will qualify every time. to a certain degree i dont really have a problem with this, as some "affirmative action" is a good thing for the WC. and the US definitely is one of the top 32 teams so it is not like they dont deserve a spot. but usa fans should just keep in mind that the concacaf qualification is a gift.

DougOzzzz 10-23-2005 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rick is pretty much right here guys. im not going to argue specifics since i havent read the whole thread but he is basically correct.

concacaf is a total cakewalk, the us will qualify every time. to a certain degree i dont really have a problem with this, as some "affirmative action" is a good thing for the WC. and the US definitely is one of the top 32 teams so it is not like they dont deserve a spot. but usa fans should just keep in mind that the concacaf qualification is a gift.

[/ QUOTE ]

what does any of this have to do with anything? if you read the thread, you'd realize that we are discussing how good the USA COULD be (if we cared about soccer as much as Brazil did), not how good the USA IS.

Voltron87 10-23-2005 09:06 PM

the 1st and 2nd parts werent really connected, my post is a little confusing in that regard.

the us just could not become the best team in the world in the next 50 years. there is just no soccer culture like in europe, where it is the biggest thing around, and even those countries cannot compete with the religous level of dedication in brazil. the idea that the us could just create that environment is crazy.

if you want to totally rewrite history and say "well imagine if every kid in the us started eating sleeping and breathing soccer from 6 months and the the US government wrote a blank check" then that is just ridiculous and has no bearings in a real world discussion.

RRRRICK 10-23-2005 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You hate the US. Congrats. Thanks for the amazing contributions to the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously. This tool and his bigoted friends have done a great job of making me a Uruguay fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

American's do themselves no favours endearing themselves to the rest of the world.

If you possessed even a little humility it might be a different story. But you don't, it's all about how great you are and how great you 'could' be.

If you we're really that great you wouldn't have tell us about it.

Maybe if the WC was filled with oil you'd give a damm.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/.../uy-lgflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm... is this supposed to stir my rage?

I'm not delusional, Uruguay will probably win the play off and take there place in the finals.

Afterall they have won the WC twice and play in the region that boasts 9 out of 16 WC champions.

This is my last post in this thread as I didn't want this to become a yankee bash and its starting to get that way.

I've enjoyed the debate and good luck in Germany next year.

DougOzzzz 10-23-2005 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the 1st and 2nd parts werent really connected, my post is a little confusing in that regard.

the us just could not become the best team in the world in the next 50 years. there is just no soccer culture like in europe, where it is the biggest thing around, and even those countries cannot compete with the religous level of dedication in brazil. the idea that the us could just create that environment is crazy.

if you want to totally rewrite history and say "well imagine if every kid in the us started eating sleeping and breathing soccer from 6 months and the the US government wrote a blank check" then that is just ridiculous and has no bearings in a real world discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a real world discussion. It's a completely hypothetical discussion, which is how you missed the point.

hoyaboy1 10-23-2005 09:48 PM

Delete these posts, read the thread, and come back when you actually know what is being discussed.

Voltron87 10-23-2005 09:59 PM

whatever. fine. im not reading 130 posts of this, i know what the answer is.

Clarkmeister 10-23-2005 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a real world discussion. It's a completely hypothetical discussion, which is how you missed the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Voltron87 10-23-2005 10:47 PM

what is the point of a hypothetical discussion here? its pointless.