Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   How Much Would I Have To Make? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=339803)

roundhouse 09-20-2005 04:14 PM

Re: How Much Would I Have To Make?

[ QUOTE ]
josh-

your dad sounds like a smart, business orientated man. if his reaction is one of your main concerns (because it sounds like you want to play poker) then you should take some time and develop a report of sorts to present to him showing how much money you can/will make and most importantly how you plan to invest it (or if you are going to pay them back a certain % of college cost etc). tell him you will maintain certain hours (and will inform him of everything that is going on) and volunteer for the year to do something that interests you (cleaning the stalls at a whackoff shop perhaps?) if he still gives you grief, then that is his baggage and not yours. we dont live our lives to please others (even family members). as for the girlfriends family, they dont need to know as much as your dad and i doubt your girlfriend is going to let their complaints (if any) interfere with your relationship.

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is excellent advice (if you intend to go the poker route) - a business plan of sorts.

My advice would be to apply for the masters - if that's what you want - you've nothing to lose by applying. If you're gonna play poker go and work for a charity (for free) - not shop front stuff, but office stuff. General office experience plus the good cause thing will give you plus points to trade for negative points in the minds of future employers (assuming they consider poker a negative which I don't think is a done deal, depends how you sell it). If you end up playing poker - DON'T LIE ON YOUR CV and claim you were doing something else, say you played poker, put in some of the business plan elements and impress them with your planning, risk assessment, self-motivation etc. Transferable skills baby.

Enjoyed all your posts man - keep 'em up whatever. Good luck.

RH

MarkL444 09-23-2005 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thank you for a really great post. travelling is something I have considered doing. I didn't study abroad and it's something I regret. I actually asked her about it in passing and she said she'd be really interested in it, even if it was for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

she's graduated?

09-23-2005 12:57 PM

sthief09:

you are looking for us to back you up and say go for it. you know for a fact it will make your family and possibly girlfriend/friends upset.

you have to do what's right for you. your father probably took some risks to get where he was as well. as always, go with your gut

ThePimpulator 09-23-2005 09:21 PM

I think it takes real courage, and self assuredness to decide to have a career in an unconventional field.

I'd like to know what makes a career in poker so looked down upon. Also, why is jamming yourself into a sweaty subway car twice a day, and sitting in a concrete prison pushing paper and making small talk for a further 9 hours a day, every day, for the next 40 years, so honourable?

Have people used the cost of your education as a way to make you feel guilty, or are you putting that guilt on yourself? If its the former I would strongly consider reimbursing them what they have paid to own your life (I gather you can afford it), then going off and doing what you want to do.

Also, have you thought about why you are under achieving? It is not enough to just acknowledge that you slack off. Ever thought about why? Or have you decided that that's "just the way you are?" Are you unhappy for any reason?

It might be helpful for you too look at why your relationship with your father was strained for so many years. Did it contribute to your slacking? Doing what he wants of you, and living up to his expectations and criteria for success, still may not achieve your desire to maintain the current stability between you two. You could do your office porridge and grow to resent him for it in five or ten years, whether he's happy then or not.

This is much more than just numbers, its about living life and being happy. And I know many people that work in the conventional business/office type careers. Don't know many that are happy. They all seem miserable, worrying about this or that the whole time. Maybe some are content. All say they haven't done enough in their lives. All say they don't get to enjoy enough of their lives. All say they missed too much of their kids growing up. Sadly, most don't really wake up to it until they are well into middle age.

Live each day as it comes, and how you want to live it, whether that's in the field you studied for, in poker, or in something completely different. But don't wake up every Monday wishing it was Friday, because like that before you know it you'll wake up one day and you'll be 60. And you're the one that has to look back on your life and be satisfied you made the most of it.

lehighguy 09-23-2005 10:17 PM

I haven't played on party for awhile. Did they double rake or something. $70/hour seems like a huge change.