Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   If you were me.............. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=295926)

Rev. Good Will 07-20-2005 09:10 AM

Re: If you were me..............

I dunno dude, I think work is more than just a paycheck, especially when working as a teacher.

Also, whats wrong with working, and still playing?

Isura 07-20-2005 09:57 AM

I think all the info you have posted adds up to a clear conclusion: Give it a shot, and see how it goes. You have a clear backup plan, and you only live once. "Live the dream for a year" as another poster said, and have fun. Use the extra free time from only playing poker to do something you haven't had the time or have always wanted to do (ie travel, take up a hobby, whatever). Good luck to you.

krimson 07-20-2005 10:05 AM

Don't you think your yearly income would be greater by teaching and playing poker casually on the side? I think you manipulate your numbers a bit to make full-time poker look like the best choice but your not including the extra money you would make from poker on the side if you taught for a living. I think this extra money gets you to around the 75-80k mark (5 hours a week, and 30 hours a week during the summer, including a few weeks of holidays), plus having the job security.

I guess it's a fairly close choice, and I think the biggest factor is how you will handle 35 hours a week of poker, and whether you have the motivation to be making sure you put the time.

PokerBob 07-20-2005 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno dude, I think work is more than just a paycheck, especially when working as a teacher.

[/ QUOTE ]

The above statements seem contradictory to me. If I teach and play, I'll obviously make more, but I will have very little free time.

Boltsfan1992 07-20-2005 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It should be noted that teaching 9th graders can take more out of you than most people seem to realize.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely....

PB

DarkForceRising 07-20-2005 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The above statements seem contradictory to me. If I teach and play, I'll obviously make more, but I will have very little free time.

[/ QUOTE ]

The free time is what it's all about. In fact, I really don't know how I got anything done when I was juggling work and poker. Especially considering that I was on call at during odd hours.

It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Just do it, man. Otherwise, you'll just wind up spending the whole school year wondering "what if". You are single, adequately financed and capable. It it was ever the time, it is now.

PokerBob 07-20-2005 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Teach and bang some 17 yr old chicks looking to up their grades [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

DarkForceRising 07-20-2005 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Teach and bang some 17 yr old chicks looking to up their grades [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I am now changing my vote to teach and it isn't close.

pokerrookie 07-20-2005 12:57 PM

Do both. Play half that amount (20 hrs), teach and you will make 38 + 52, 90K a year, with benefits.

Rockfish 07-20-2005 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Think of it this way. If you play poker for a living, what are you going to do for fun? Teach the occasional night class? I don't think so.

This is wierd. It's not like he doesn't have other entertaintment options other than poker. He'll do those in all the extra hours he has when he isn't playing poker for a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't read the whole lengthy thread.
Just stopping at this part (only on page 2) with the idiotic comment that he won't have anything to do for fun.

I'm in one of those Jon Stewart, "Whaaaaaaaaa??" modes just trying to figure out how to respond to this.

Some ideas for fun might include:
- going out with friends
- going to the movies
- drinking
- having sex
- playing tiddly-winks
- having sex WHILE playing tiddly-winks
- playing the accordion
- having sex while playing tiddly-winks AND the accordion

Strangely enough...the prospects of 'fun' for each of these activities is exactly the same for those who don't play poker professionally as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no need to be insulting.

It's this simple for those of you that don't get the idea. If you play poker professionally, you won't be able to play poker for fun any more.

Everything else you say is obvious. As obvious as what I said.