Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   I'm being sued by the RIAA (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=279094)

ptmusic 06-24-2005 02:03 AM

Re: I\'m being sued by the RIAA

[ QUOTE ]
It's true that it's being hammered out in the courts.

And I guarantee you that you and your ilk will lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right. And I don't think that would be such a bad scenario, believe it or not. At least we wouldn't have a generation of people stealing and feeling okay about doing it. Plus, maybe the music industry would get on the ball and be force to come up with a new business model.

But you said earlier that it is not stealing to download files that others have shared, and you are wrong about that (currently). And that's what I'm talking about: most people don't even think it's stealing, or don't care if they know it is.

-ptmusic

ptmusic 06-24-2005 02:13 AM

Ya got me.

-ptmusic

bronzepiglet 06-24-2005 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, maybe the music industry would get on the ball and be force to come up with a new business model.

[/ QUOTE ]

Righteous.

morgant 06-24-2005 04:00 AM

i went to lehigh. mmmmmmkay

LargeCents 07-02-2005 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would wait until contacted and then offer them a settlement for 1/2 the amount along with a letter saying your sorry, you learned your lesson blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the RIAA. They don't care. They are very very money hungry. They've successfully sued an 8 year old girl before for downloading barney theme songs and the like. The parents didn't even know you could download music. The RIAA didn't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct that they don't care about apologies, and that they have gone after some silly cases. But the RIAA is not just money "hungry", it is money "starved."

It represents an industry that is going through its biggest downswing in its history. Sure you see the Jessica Simpsons and the Maroon 5's making big bucks, but there are SO MANY people that I know personally whose careers have been derailed in the music industry, and illegal file sharing has definitely played a role.

I'm not talking about artists who have suffered (although many have). I'm talking about behind the scenes professionals like recording engineers who have devoted decades to their craft, and countless employees at the distribution, retail, and artist management levels. Thousands of hard-working non-"glamorous" jobs gone because some people don't think they should have to pay for something.

Times are-a-changin', and these newly unemployed folks have to change with them, just like when other industries go south. But the law is the law, and you shouldn't break it when there are victims.
-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Why isn't/wasn't there a law protecting my job from being shipped overseas? Law has more to do with money/power/diplomacy than victims. There are more victims than laws that protect them. I feel for the music industry the same way they feel for me: lukewarm apathy.

Nelson Muntz 07-02-2005 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for some advice. Basically, I got caught using i2hub for sharing and downloading music on the internet 2 backbone.

The riaa filed lawsuits against 400+ college student across the country for copyright violations. They filed the lawsuits as john doe lawsuits. They then supenoed the colleges to turn over the identities of the IP addresses in violation.

I found out back in april after the list of ip's from my school was leaked on the internet that I was one of the unfortunate 25 from my college. I immediately loaded my computer w/ spyware, backdoors, viruses, and then corrupted the OS. I took it to CompUSA so that I could get them to document all the things wrong w/ my computer. My school's legal services department just notified me 5 days ago that they are turning over my identity to the RIAA effective yesterday (jun22).

What should I do? The reason I messed up my computer was so I could have a shot at pleading ignorance. Is this a good idea or no? Should I just bite the bullet and pay the etsimated $3500 settlement fee?

The RIAA has still not released a statement on how they got access to the I2 backbone. They applied back in Dec. 2004 and were denied by the I2 Committee. Should I wait it out and hope that a ruling that the RIAA illegaly obtained the evidence?

- Phil

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha Ha!

beta1607 07-02-2005 07:02 PM

They have a bunch of salaried lawyers on staff - it costs you much more to fight then it costs them - and recent precedent sugguests you will lose anyway. Just wait for them to contact you then pony up the cash and move on.

Peter666 07-02-2005 07:04 PM

Brian Boitano is an American you stupid retard. And learn how to spell.

Peter666 07-02-2005 07:16 PM

A stupid law is not a real law. There is no moral or ethical obligation to follow it.

ptmusic 07-02-2005 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would wait until contacted and then offer them a settlement for 1/2 the amount along with a letter saying your sorry, you learned your lesson blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the RIAA. They don't care. They are very very money hungry. They've successfully sued an 8 year old girl before for downloading barney theme songs and the like. The parents didn't even know you could download music. The RIAA didn't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct that they don't care about apologies, and that they have gone after some silly cases. But the RIAA is not just money "hungry", it is money "starved."

It represents an industry that is going through its biggest downswing in its history. Sure you see the Jessica Simpsons and the Maroon 5's making big bucks, but there are SO MANY people that I know personally whose careers have been derailed in the music industry, and illegal file sharing has definitely played a role.

I'm not talking about artists who have suffered (although many have). I'm talking about behind the scenes professionals like recording engineers who have devoted decades to their craft, and countless employees at the distribution, retail, and artist management levels. Thousands of hard-working non-"glamorous" jobs gone because some people don't think they should have to pay for something.

Times are-a-changin', and these newly unemployed folks have to change with them, just like when other industries go south. But the law is the law, and you shouldn't break it when there are victims.
-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Why isn't/wasn't there a law protecting my job from being shipped overseas? Law has more to do with money/power/diplomacy than victims. There are more victims than laws that protect them. I feel for the music industry the same way they feel for me: lukewarm apathy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps there should be/should have been a law that protected your job from going overseas. But that's not the subject of this thread or my post, and the fact is it wasn't against the law. But in the case of internet piracy, there is a law on the books, and there are victims when people break that law.

I feel bad that you lost your job. If someone got rich off a deal that exported your job and others' jobs and is smoking a cigar on the beach somewhere with the commission he got from that deal, that sucks, and I wish it didn't happen to you. If someone broke a law making that deal, I would raise my voice about it.

That's what I'm doing in this case.

-ptmusic