Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Did Sklansky say he Could have won a Nobel? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=238832)

Vincent Lepore 04-25-2005 11:51 PM

Re: Did Sklansky say he Could have won a Nobel?

[ QUOTE ]
I think I know the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about someone full of themselves. Wow!

Vince

Daliman 04-26-2005 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DS's chosen profession does not benefit society in any way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hoping this is a typo, as I trust no one believes this.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

HOW, in the name of God, does writing books about gambling benefit society? Because everyone that reads them wins money playing poker? LMFAO! Maybe 4%.......the rest have certainly not benefitted in any way from the existence of big Dave. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he's certainly benefitted my little area of society.

Daliman 04-26-2005 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HOW, in the name of God, does writing books about gambling benefit society? Because everyone that reads them wins money playing poker? LMFAO! Maybe 4%.......the rest have certainly not benefitted in any way from the existence of big Dave. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize that your definition of "benefit to society" read as "produce work that makes every person that comes into contact with it money." That being the case, we were operating on wholly different definitions of the term, and therein lies the problem, as I believe people can be benefits to society without having their work necessarily produce extra funds for each and every person that comes into contact with it.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then please explain to me how DS has benefited society in a non-financial way. Does it make you feel better after reading his books? Did HFAP in some way lead to better chemo therapy? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gambling is NOT a drain on society. It is merely a mirror of society. If there was no want/need for gambling, it wouldn't exist. The people who lose at it do so willingly, and many people are employed by it.

Now, before you go and make the drugs correlation, remember
#1 Drugs are illegal in most places.
#2 There are no people who make money doing drugs.
#3 Drugs can ruin entire lives even used sparingly.
#4 If you do alot of drugs, you WILL be way worse off for it.

Yes, in certain small respects, the same can be said for gambling, but, then again, the same can be said for the laundromat down the street or the supermarket in certain small respects.

I find it hard to believe you actually feel this way, yet post on a poker website and, ostensibly, play poker.

Then again, you say plenty of stupid things, so little surprises me from you.

Daliman 04-26-2005 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
David Sklansky said that he could easily beat the stock market. Now I am fairly sure more people win Nobel prizes over a twenty year period than beat the stock market over the same period of time (at least people investing a significant amount of money anyway).

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading rhere, and decided my time could be better spent thinking about fluffy kittens than reading the rest of that post...

http://www.animalovers.org/images/Lo...tens%20001.jpg

Beerfund 04-26-2005 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it hard to believe you actually feel this way, yet post on a poker website and, ostensibly, play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play poker to make money, simple as that. Doesn't mean I think it has any positve effects on society. I won't play poker "professionaly" for my entire life because I want to do something relevant. Playing poker = NO RELEVANCE!

Please don't reply telling me how much you make playing and blah blah blah,I don't care. If it makes you happy then that's all the matters.

Leonardo 04-26-2005 01:23 AM

By your comment I assume that you think more people beat the market over the last 20 years than won a Nobel prize, and that my comment is stupid. Would I be correct? How many people who are managing significant amounts of money (lets say > 50 million, hence you would consider professional) would beat the market? I think its a very, very low number. As for Nobel prizes, the number is something like 10 per year for the last 20 years, so right around 200 give or take a few. I think there was significantly less than that beating the market over 20 years. If you can prove otherwise, I will stand corrected.

Daliman 04-26-2005 01:37 AM

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by a significant amount of $$$. You should be a bit more clear.

BarronVangorToth 04-26-2005 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I won't play poker "professionaly" for my entire life because I want to do something relevant. Playing poker = NO RELEVANCE!

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it troubling that you can believe that you are limited in your life from doing something relevant because you play poker. Certainly I would hope you think otherwise.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com

Daliman 04-26-2005 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I won't play poker "professionaly" for my entire life because I want to do something relevant. Playing poker = NO RELEVANCE!

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it troubling that you can believe that you are limited in your life from doing something relevant because you play poker. Certainly I would hope you think otherwise.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

He just likes to act like he makes $$$ at poker, but it's beneath him. Pay no attention.

Beerfund 04-26-2005 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I said playing professioanly, and no it's not impossible to do something relevant but it would hinder it. If you're saying that just playing poker is somehow relevant then all I can say is [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]