Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Disprove the Bible (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=212200)

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 12:59 PM

Re: Disprove the Bible

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is that science is mutually exclusive for most religious belivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be true for some believers who don't think critically about what they believe, but for many, they can know some things through science, and others through faith.

Also your belief (I think), that the only beliefs one should hold are scientific beliefs, is unscientific.

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of sick twisted god do you worship?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please look up Bishop Ussher and then report back. Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I maintain that the Bible says nothing about the age of the earth. I have said nothing about what Bishop Ussher says.

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's the sad thing, that Jews, Christians and Muslims worship the same God but they all hate each other on a macro level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always wondered about this. What makes you so sure you have the "correct" God?

[/ QUOTE ]

Faith is the only answer here. I also have the benefit of four seperate occations on which God was directly involved in my life, but for those who do not have that benefit, faith is required.

[ QUOTE ]
Most people believe in the religion they were raised, so do you think you were just luck to be born to parents that believe in the correct God and those poor Hindus are unlucky?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but I wouldn't call it luck. God has chosen to reveal himself to everyone in some way. For myself and many other christians, he brought me directly into the Christian faith through my family. A great blessing to be sure, but also a great responsabllity, for it is the duty of Christians to shair their faith with those who know nothing of it.

As for someone who lives their entire life without any exposure to formal Christianity, I have no belief regarding them except to say that it points to a failure on the part of Christians to adiquitely share their faith. Does God damn such people? I leave that to God, but I trust that God will not damn anyone who is not deserving of damnation. (And I also believe he saves many people who deserve damnation.)

jakethebake 03-13-2005 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also have the benefit of four seperate occations on which God was directly involved in my life,

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get an autograph?

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you get an autograph?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how much that would go for on ebay?

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 01:34 PM

For those who have been following this thread, youknow that I have been arguing on the pro-religion side (which is what I really believe). The peoblem of evil has been very dificult for me. Here is my idea (just an idea).

1. God creasted everything and is all powerfull.
2. God, therefore, created logic.
3. God exists above and outside the bounds of logic.
4. Therefore, logical conclusions pretaining to God may be incorrect.

In spite of what I have been taught in appologetics classes, I believe God can make a rock so heavy that He can't lift it.

jakethebake 03-13-2005 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe God can make a rock so heavy that He can't lift it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which would mean he also couldn't drop it on his toe.

jstnrgrs 03-13-2005 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which would mean he also couldn't drop it on his toe.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be wrong. God is all powerfull. He could make a rock so heavy that he can't lift it and then drop it on his toe.