Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The best video game of all time for a console (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=114618)

Schneids 08-20-2004 02:58 AM

best vs \"most influential\"

It's so hard to differentiate "best" from "most influential."

I've probably logged more hours with Goldeneye multiplayer than any other videogame, however I don't think it's the best ever. It's also debateably one of the most influential. I would put Super Mario 64 in the same category.

I'm going to give a threeway tie for "best videogame of all time," in no particular order:
Super Mario 3, Final Fantasy 3, and Ocarina of Time.

And a FWIW a couple other of my "all-time favorites":
~ Super Mario Tennis (n64... and actually my PERSONAL fav game ever)
~ Twisted Metal and Twisted Metal 2 (psx)
~ Super Monkey Balls (gcn)
~ Little League Baseball (nes)
~ Samba de Amigo [with maraccas] (dc)
~ Goldeneye/Perfect Dark (n64... haha I'm a co-author of a 10,000 word review on Perfect Dark)

jagoff 08-20-2004 10:12 AM

Re: The best video game of all time for a console

I am surprised that noone has mentioned a wrestling/boxing game! Like the whole WCW series for the N64 or Wrestlemania 2000. You build your guys up during the match until they are special and then unleash hell! Fight Night is pretty tight and so was Ready 2 Rumble.

ThaSaltCracka 08-20-2004 11:04 AM

those games are all fun, but they really aren't that great.
I use to play the WCW vs NWO all the time for the N64, but then after I realized how easy the game was, I stopped playing it.

kerssens 08-20-2004 12:09 PM

We used to have a guy that would always pick Macho Man or Buff Bagwell and just leave the ring and taunt the whole time, it got annoying enough that the other three would eventually stop fighting each other and all gang up on him

mrjim 08-20-2004 12:20 PM

It totally agree w/ whoever commented on NHLPA '95. You're dead on w/ them bringing back the fights and fixing the auto goal. Also, was that the one that they added the one-timers?

But I'm not sure I ever spent more time on a video game than my roomate and I didn't on Goldeneye. My wife now, who was my girlfriend at the time, still talks about how much she hated me playing that 24/7. My GPA never recovered.

Baseball Stars was the best baseball game I've ever played. Crank up your players 'till you can hit a home run every time you connect, then start over...

Ghost Recon is my favorite newer game. I played that until I could kill every enemy on every level using ony one team member (and still do on occasion).

I'd also throw in Zelda (the original) SSX and Grand Tourismo.

The grandaddy is Tetris though, but it's not really a "video game" by todays standards.

vulturesrow 08-20-2004 01:01 PM

If you want to talk wrestling games, lets go real old school.

Pro Wrestling on the Nintendo Game System. Oh yeah..some sweet ass moves on that one.

jagoff 08-20-2004 01:17 PM

Buff was the stuff until that damn neck injury. WCW v. NWO wasn't the greatest game but it was a good (read GOOD) game to play with/against your buddies. DYK...if you wiggled the analog stick vehemently while being pinned you would always get up even after 100 finishing moves!

BTW, LaParka was the NUTS!!!

mrjim 08-20-2004 01:45 PM

I'll be the Amazon and do the Pirahna bite on your head and then pull a wrench out of my shorts, beat you on the head, put it back in my shorts and look at the ref and put my hands in the air like "I didn't do anything."

ThaSaltCracka 08-20-2004 01:52 PM

I always liked Kim Chi

WEASEL45 08-20-2004 02:14 PM

all the gran tourismos are my favorite games ever. number 2 especially