Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My story (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=245935)

twowords 05-06-2005 05:16 AM

Re: My story

[ QUOTE ]

BK has annoyed me a lot with his gay bragging posts. In the past, I have not considered BK to be a particularly good player. However, in light of recent posts, I think he has matured a lot and is starting to understand the difference between playing well and running exceptionally good. Overall, I still think he's a bit of a douche, but I'm starting to give him some credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

So tell me El D, if BK is nothing special in terms of talent, then what are the odds of a guy like him being that sucessful? If a hundred guys with his talent take the same shots, how many go bust? how many would still be playing 15-30 (or 3-6)?

goodguy_1 05-06-2005 10:23 AM

good post Tim ..gl bro

bicyclekick 05-06-2005 10:35 AM

I think that assuming I didn't go bust early on, there is no way I wouldn't be at 15/30 by now. Notice I didn't really allow myself to go bust though, I went back to $.5/1 to regroup. I just think if i hadn't gotten lucky it would have taken a lot longer.

lozen 05-06-2005 11:03 AM

One of the best posts I have read here. Appreciate it

RED_RAIN 05-06-2005 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always thought about getting a job vs. playing poker full-time. Like yourself, I'll be graduating with a degree in CS this quarter. And being in the Northwest, it is easy to get a job that pays 65K+ a year (firsthand experience). In fact, with some of the bigger companies like Microsoft, a really good engineer could get 80K STARTING OUT

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlikely in MN.

deaconblues 05-06-2005 12:03 PM

I think you should cash out and take your shot at Danny Negreanu, answering his challenge.

Your Mom 05-06-2005 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bicyclekick,

i'm jealous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Justin A 05-06-2005 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

BK has annoyed me a lot with his gay bragging posts. In the past, I have not considered BK to be a particularly good player. However, in light of recent posts, I think he has matured a lot and is starting to understand the difference between playing well and running exceptionally good. Overall, I still think he's a bit of a douche, but I'm starting to give him some credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

So tell me El D, if BK is nothing special in terms of talent, then what are the odds of a guy like him being that sucessful? If a hundred guys with his talent take the same shots, how many go bust? how many would still be playing 15-30 (or 3-6)?

[/ QUOTE ]

BK has experienced success because of his work ethic. He's gotten lucky a few times when moving up, but it's not like he's been lucky his entire career. He puts in more hands and hours and time thinking about the game than anyone else I know.

Schneids 05-06-2005 03:11 PM

Some people post better than they play and some people play better than they post. I think BK fits into the secound group, having actually logged thousands and thousands of hands with him (unlike some of the people who may say his game is not anything special).

I_am_B 05-06-2005 03:19 PM

re: parental commentary and bk\'s story

BK: Thanks for the props on here. Ditto, man. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If I weren't on another life trajectory this coming year, I'd love to spend the winter with you in Alta, though I definitely won't count out paying you a few good visits.

Re: parental concerns, I have some strong opinions about this that involve the ethics of poker which I want to collaboratively turn into a publishable essay or work in the next year or two. What amuses me most is when parents support capitalist business yet deny the validity of poker as an activity. Poker, in my humble view, is the essence of a free market, as it involves an economic contract between consenting players on every betting round. That being said, my parents also took a while to come around, but I had a roll by the time they knew. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] My mom is still reluctant to acknowledge the integrity of poker, and if anything motivates me to explain it all in an essay it is to appeal to people like her and others.

To continued success,

B