Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Civ4 - Review & Trailer (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364524)

Blarg 10-27-2005 05:29 PM

Re: Civ4 - Review & Trailer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it gives you specific benefits if you have different religions, and i think you get benefits from founding them. I can't really say just yet...

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]
The review I read on IGN specifically stated that all religions functioned exactly the same. The only difference is the name.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Gamespot.com review I just read said that the religion you choose determines what technologies you can build, and I think some units, too.

They gave it a 9.4 rating, btw.

pokerdirty 10-27-2005 05:31 PM

nerds.

Blarg 10-27-2005 05:33 PM

I'd be very surprised if you didn't find having a gig or more very helpful in this game. Note I don't have it yet, but this was the case with RTS games even going years back, and with Civ 2. We're up to Civ 4 already, and I'm sure the demands on systems have only gotten greater.

Any time a game has lots of units and a big map, it has a ton of stuff to put in memory. Especially considering the units aren't static, nor are the stats, like how much food you have, etc. Keeping all that info at your fingertips takes a ton of memory. I expect regular slowdowns with the gig of memory I have.

Cancer Merchant 10-27-2005 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm using the motherboard-embedded card that came with a Compaq. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] The world map is mostly black. Leaderheads appear as eyeballs, teeth and epaulettes only (I [censored] you not.) On the plus side, Leonard Nimoy narrates, which A) is a pleasant surprise and B) is nice, because it means that Leonard Nimoy's still getting work. In short, I can't play the game, and I wonder why you guys don't have your own copy yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to be a problem with ATI cards, known as the "cheshire cat bug". There seem to be some workarounds posted on one of the freeciv Message board -- bugs

mosuavea 10-27-2005 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be very surprised if you didn't find having a gig or more very helpful in this game. Note I don't have it yet, but this was the case with RTS games even going years back, and with Civ 2. We're up to Civ 4 already, and I'm sure the demands on systems have only gotten greater.

Any time a game has lots of units and a big map, it has a ton of stuff to put in memory. Especially considering the units aren't static, nor are the stats, like how much food you have, etc. Keeping all that info at your fingertips takes a ton of memory. I expect regular slowdowns with the gig of memory I have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply. I have a home sysytem that definitely can accomodate the game, this was more for use while "working" where I have loads of down time, which is why I would like to play on the laptop. So I guess it will run, just quite slow?

Blarg 10-27-2005 05:49 PM

Don't have the game yet, but I remember Civ 2 was surprisingly slow when the game had gotten going for a while and I had to pan across maps, and at that time I had a great system and a gig of memory, back when it was sort of unusual to have that much. I'd be surprised if you don't get them, because I'm anticipating plenty of them.

Blarg 10-27-2005 05:54 PM

Check out this thread from a guy who has 512 megs, courtesy of the link from a poster above.

[ QUOTE ]
Other users are reporting the same problem. I have that problem as well.

It has been suggested that there is a memory leak in the program. I just completed a test run where I ALT-TABbed out of the game regularly to look at a CPU and memory use meter. Slowly but surely CIV4 consumes more and more RAM until the available physical RAM was exhausted. At that point the system slowed to a crawl. CIV4 was using ~400MB of RAM when it crippled the system.

I was able to terminate the program using Task Manager and then the system came back around.

[/ QUOTE ]

A memory leak is a bad, bad thing. The less memory you have, the worse.

But these things get fixed too. It just means you might start off with some frustration for a while until the fix is in. I have no idea how responsible these guys are on that kind of thing. A memory leak doesn't exactly recommend them on the responsibility front, nor does shipping without a couple features they advertise.

Emmitt2222 10-27-2005 06:06 PM

OK so my 16MB video card in my laptop is crap. I need an upgrade for p+ker anyway and I want this game. I'm looking at getting a Dell Dimension E510 with a great coupon today. Can someone tell me if these specs will work well for the game and if this system might be solid or not?

<font color="white">and 6 tabling with PT and PA at the same time </font>

Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz

1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz

256MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radean X600 SE

Blarg 10-27-2005 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i confirmed it on my sony vaio t-250 which has cheshire cat heads and a dark terrain map showing only resources and forests. it IS a game bug of some kind. how do you know ? because there are people here using world builder to show all tiles and they can see the terrain, you couldn't do that if it was your video card.

on my laptop i did something different, i chose "pangea" land size, played the smallest map possible, with high water, all in an effort to put me on the smallest piece of real estate possible. when you do that you can see that the map is visible on part of the screen, just not where you're standing. it's a game bug!

not that any of this solves all the problems ... but the "get a new graphics card" retort might be costing some people some unnecessary money, and a lot of laptops including mine can render these graphics afterall. i thought it was weird that i could play age of empires iii and yet not be able to render these graphics. this looks like a FIXABLE bug!

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...b&amp;t=133659

Freakin 10-28-2005 11:16 AM

Talk about poor memory management.... it was at 800MB after about 5 hours of gameplay and 90-odd modern armors roaming the screen.