Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Got stiffed on a tip tonight (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=358084)

Guy Incognito 10-15-2005 01:46 PM

Re: Got stiffed on a tip tonight

[ QUOTE ]
I hate tipping. I do it, but on some occassions, I don't. What I seriously don't appreciate is the societal pressure to tip, when in reality restaurants should pay their employees a decent amount, so their employees don't have to rely on charity to pay their bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

TheCroShow 10-15-2005 02:04 PM

this thread is pathetic. boo freakity hoo, what did you expect at appleby's as you served some cowboys? no sympathy here, some people do not believe in tipping, leave them be. do not expect tips every time, that's pathetic. nobody leaves me a tip at my desk when i do a good job, stop your whining.

*edit* i'm not a cheap person by the way. i leave a minimum 15% if the service was par, 20%+ if i felt like the waiter/waitress did above average, kept my drinks filled, checked in with me more than once or twice, smiled, all of that [censored].

phage 10-15-2005 02:07 PM

What is your average net hourly wage when tips are included?

10-15-2005 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. Again, it ain't my fault you make $2.13 an hour. How is it my problem? As Mr.Pink once said, "You don't feel it necessary to tip the servers at McDonalds, do you?" Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

the "servers" at McDonald's receive at least the minimum wage, don't come to your table and bring you more food, refill your drinks, etc.

eviljeff 10-15-2005 02:15 PM

I like all these posts that say tipping is completely optional followed by "oh, but I'm not one of those scumbag bad tippers. I always leave 15%."

Dex 10-15-2005 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Applebee's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. That explains it, then. Here's what happened: it took an hour and a half for them to get their food, like it always does at Applebee's, and they took it out on you by not leaving a tip.

goofball 10-15-2005 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I seriously don't appreciate is the societal pressure to tip, when in reality restaurants should pay their employees a decent amount, so their employees don't have to rely on charity to pay their bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Don 10-15-2005 02:34 PM

Here's my theory. These "cowboys" are probably pussies who get raped by their bosses all day at work. They show up at the restaurant and relish a situation where THEY are in charge. They then proceed to screw you over and feel good about themselves for it. I personally will almost never give less than 20% and I always treat servers with respect. Maybe it is because I am a pro gambler and don't take [censored] from anyone.... just a theory I have come up with after years of viewing these scenarios with disgust.

DasLeben 10-15-2005 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get why servers, people with no skills and no degree think they deserve to make $20+ dollars an hour. Then they bitch all the time! Ohhhh that table made me fill their water aahhhh they were mad their food was cold.

Allow me to quote a great song "get a hair cut and get a real job"

Yes I do tip. But only female waitresses. I don't want some dude serving me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read this entire thread (74 new posts since I went to sleep last night), and this was the only post that pissed me off.

Really, "people with no skills and no degree"? Well, let me fill you in then. My qualifications:

-Bachelor of Science: Aeronautical Science
-Commercial Pilot: Airplane Single and Multiengine Land, Instrument Airplane
-Flight Instructor: Airplane Single and Multiengine, Instrument Airplane

Good enough skills for ya? Oh yeah, there's a degree there too. I work with at least 2 other people with the same qualifications that I have. Another server has a Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Mathematics. Yep, we're all idiots.

[censored] tool.

DasLeben 10-15-2005 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I should have at least made $10 or so on the table, even if I didn't do a good job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read all the responses so I'm sure I'm just repeating, but this is the most pathetic thing I've ever heard. The world doesn't owe you anything. If you do a crappy job you don't deserve anything. Also, this will happen in your line of work. If you're going to whine about it everytime it happens, I suggest you find another job. You'll save yourself a lot of grief.

[/ QUOTE ]

So easy to say if you've never been a server at a restaurant before. Go wait tables for your main source of income, and watch your attitude change.

I do expect at least $10 from a $102 tab with good service, no matter how much you think that I suck for thinking that the "world owes me something" in the way of tips. Again, if you haven't served before, then you will not understand where I'm coming from.