View Full Version : basic probability question

keyser soze
12-19-2003, 01:38 AM
i am very new to game , have purchased hold em poker by david advanded by david and mason, theory of poker by david, tourney play by david. i see some basic probability charts but i am wondering this..i hear pros say "he is an 8to 1 underdog or a 3 to 1 favorite etc, and do not know how to compute that yet i know there is a chart in the beginner book that i can convert but is there a place you could recommend to me to help me learn the odds of the hands individualy and against each other.. thank you very much if you take the time to answer a rookies question

12-19-2003, 05:05 AM
twodimes.net (http://www.twodimes.net/poker)

You can matchup any number of hands given any board and find out the percentages.

12-20-2003, 04:21 AM
Suppose there is an 80% chance I will win the hand, a 15% chance my opponent will win, and a 5% chance of a tie.

Then my equity in the pot is 82.5% while my opponent's is 17.5%. In other words, if we decided to divide the pot right there instead of playing out the hand, the fairest way to do it would be to give me 82.5% of it. To convert that to odds, just divide:

82.5 / 17.5 = 4.7

so I am a 4.7-to-1 favourite in the hand. That means that if my opponent were deciding whether to call an all-in bet, he should call if the amount he'd win is more than 4.7 times the amount he has to call.