Two Plus Two Older Archives

Old 06-19-2004, 07:39 AM
tyfromm tyfromm is offline
Senior Member

Default Ciaffone

How do you pronounce this name?

I assume it is four sylabbles as is the case with most Italian names (one vowel per sylabble). I don't know which sylabble to accent, and which vowel sounds to use.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Kurn, son of Mogh Kurn, son of Mogh is offline
Senior Member

Location: Cranston, RI
Default Re: Ciaffone

Depending on whether he drops the last syllable, I'd say "cha-FONE" or cha-FONE-eh"
Old 06-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Eihli Eihli is offline
Senior Member

Wow, now that I think about it i guess my "key-a-phone" was way off.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:41 AM
tyfromm tyfromm is offline
Senior Member

You may be right, but I don't think we have a definitive answer yet.

Some of you Las Vegas folks know him, certainly you can give us the correct answer. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Kurn, son of Mogh Kurn, son of Mogh is offline
Senior Member

Location: Cranston, RI

Basic Italian pronunciation

Ciao = CHOW
Chianti = key-AHN-tee
Old 06-20-2004, 12:49 PM
Paul2432 Paul2432 is offline
Senior Member

Location: Bryn Mawr, PA USA

This post from RGP should clear things up.

[ QUOTE ]
"S. Lyle \"Sly\" Raymond" <slyraymond@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<Xns91CDEB8252FEFslyraymondearthlinkn@207. 217.77.26>...
> I've asked this before and not gotten a response:
>
> What is the correct pronounciation for "Ciaffone?"

I sent Mr. Ciaffone e-mail and got this response (and permission to post):

--------
My grandfather came to the US from Italy as a child in the late 1800's.
Instead of using the correct cha fone' (rhymes with Capone) he simply used
the pronunciation of the NYC people, shuh FOE nee. I simply went by my
father's pronunciation, taken from my grandfather.
--------

I guess that's authoritative. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
--JMike

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul
Old 06-20-2004, 01:20 PM
tyfromm tyfromm is offline
Senior Member

[ QUOTE ]
This post from RGP should clear things up.

[ QUOTE ]
"S. Lyle \"Sly\" Raymond" <slyraymond@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<Xns91CDEB8252FEFslyraymondearthlinkn@207. 217.77.26>...
> I've asked this before and not gotten a response:
>
> What is the correct pronounciation for "Ciaffone?"

I sent Mr. Ciaffone e-mail and got this response (and permission to post):

--------
My grandfather came to the US from Italy as a child in the late 1800's.
Instead of using the correct cha fone' (rhymes with Capone) he simply used
the pronunciation of the NYC people, shuh FOE nee. I simply went by my
father's pronunciation, taken from my grandfather.
--------

I guess that's authoritative. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
--JMike

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, now I can change my handle to Al Ciaffone Jr. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Kurn, you were quite close (closer than me), well done!

Here are the other answers from the rgp thread:
ShaFonz
Shaf-own
Sha-phonie
She-a-phonie