Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 08:42 PM

Default My main problem with Moneymaker.

In the Introduction to Poker Essays Volume II, Mason Malmuth states the following:

[ QUOTE ]
Many years ago, my friend and sometimes coauthor David Sklansky wrote an article about the "hot flashes." These are loose aggressive players who come to a poker center and manage to "run good" for a period of time. Sometimes they will be hot for six months, sometimes they will last a year, sometimes longer. What they never realize is that many players who play just like they do show up all the time. Players like myself usually dont notice them because their bankrolls frequently give out rather quickly. Occasionally, of course, we do notice the latest hot flash.

In fact, we often cant help but notice the "new superstar" .................................................. ........................But they all go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I think of MM and then think of this "hot flash" concept, one name comes to mind. And Chris Moneymaker reminds me of that person. That person would be Huck Seed.

Seed came onto the poker seen and took the world by storm, much like MM has done. But where is he now? Yeah he still plays, but he is mostly broke and borrowing money. I've seen him borrowing money to pay off debts first hand.

Now back to MM. What is his resume? A little over a year ago, he had little or no bankroll and was playing $40 tournys on stars. Then goes on a huge rush and wins 2.5 mill and the world championship. He basically set the world on fire. But what has he done since? Ok, yeah he got 2nd in a WPT event. 10th in a PLO event this year, and was chip leader with 40 to go in the $5000 WSOP event and completely collapsed.

Now to me, a 2nd, a 10th, and a collapse isnt much of a resume to back up a WSOP win. He's done a little, but not a lot. But, the funny thing is, like Sklansky said, these "hot flashes" can last for a long time, and with a 2.5 million score, Im sure he will be around for a while more. He may even win a few more tournments, but how successfull will he be overall? That book is still open. Now I dont think MM is a bad player. I think he is a good player, but I dont think he is a great player. I think he is one of those "hot flashes" who took the world by fire and now millions of people are worshipping him without fully understanding flunctuations and standard deviation.

So, maybe Im wrong, maybe Im not. But Im not convinced that MM is a poker god, and I cant keep from subconsiously comparing him to Huck Seed.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:51 PM

Default Re: My main problem with Sincere.

My main problem with Sincere is that he spent 10 minutes of his time writing up yet another post which basically paints Moneymaker as a lucky bastard who doesn't deserve any of this when the fact of the matter is that he is a SOLID NL tourney player who has a damn bracelet. Your time is better spent trying to improve your own game rather than worrying about whether CM is "good" or "great."
Old 06-10-2004, 08:55 PM

I still can't figure out for the life of me why every time I make a post on here I get personal attacks?
Old 06-10-2004, 09:16 PM

Default Re: My main problem with Moneymaker.

You have a decent point, but I think you exaggerate when you say that "But Im not convinced that MM is a poker god" because you're implying that others are saying this when in fact nobody is. The concensus opinion now seems to be that he is a decent player who could probably make a little money with a part time poker job, perhaps playing online. However, I don't think anyone thinks he is anything close to full time pro level.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still can't figure out for the life of me why every time I make a post on here I get personal attacks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably b/c you open yourself up to and it and BreakevenPlayer makes a damn good point.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:09 PM

My sentiments exactly.

What the f%&# have you done anyway?
Old 06-10-2004, 11:53 PM

Because you're a one note pony who doesn't understand what he's talking about, and repeats the same argument (MM falling apart in the PLO event) even after it's been shot down.

You're also creating this strawman wherein people worship Moneymaker and that just doesn't exist.

You're swinging and windmills and you're not even making it entertaining.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:05 AM

Once again I disagree with you

#1 MM is nowhere NEAR a poker god, and I've never seen a single post describing him as such.

#2 MM couldn't hold Huck Seed's jock when it comes to poker talent. Seed's failing was he was too action hungry.

Enjoy the windmills...
Old 06-11-2004, 12:31 AM

Alright, finally you and I can have a discussion with no insults maybe.

Point #1. I just think a lot of people make him out to be better than he actually may be. I think its quite possible that he could be a fly by night "hot flash" and I will alway beleive that until he proves otherwise, and I just dont think people bringing up his WPT 2nd, and his PLO 10th qualifies as staying power yet.

Point #2. You are right about that, but I also beleive MM has had problems with being action hungry too, right?
Old 06-11-2004, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably b/c you open yourself up to it

[/ QUOTE ]

Because my opinion of MM doesnt coincide with the majority opinion Im open game for personal insults?

You dont know what your talking about/you dont know how to play/ what have you done/ you dont understand poker..........etc....etc....etc???

I thought this was America?

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions, but just because you dont agree with mine doesnt give one the right to sling personal insults, am I right?