Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2004, 12:14 PM

Default \"Loose in Las Vegas\" - two weeks in May

First, lets define our terms. I mean "loose" in an unconfined no set schedule sense, not in a sexually immoral definition. And, you certainly don't expect me to play holdem loose, do you?

W.P.D.G. - My second annual attendance at a Wednesday Poker Discussion Group. Again very worthwhile. Discussion of hands, situations, happenings around town, upcoming events, etc. Attendees included PokerBabe, Barry Tanenbaum, Linda Johnson, Jan Fisher, Howard B, MBE, several local regulars and some other out of towners.

THE ELUSIVE DR. SCHOONMAKER - Last year I accidently insulted him. Told him that I liked his book-----but---I didn't buy it. Just read it from the library. Whoops, wrong thing to say to an author. THIS year, he walks into the WPDG and I rush upstairs to buy the book for him to autograph. When I get back he is eating his lunch so I don't disturb him and then, WHOOSH!, he gives me the slip and quickly leaves the building. Hey Doc - I bought the book, though.

THE DECEPTIVE POKERBABE - You gotta watch out for this lady, she's very tricky. Last year I'm about to get into a good 20-40 when she moves to another table. Well--she must know whats up, so I follow the local knowledge. She has led me to a rocky tightazz game full of Mirage day shift players. grrrr
This year, I'm in a very good 10-20 when she gets into the 20-40 main game. No reason to even look at that table. I stay at the good 10-20 and book a nice win. "Trick me once, shame on you; trick me twice, shame on me."

DYNASTY AND CLARKMEISTER - Two years in a row now and I have not met EITHER of these two guys. My new theory is that they are not real people. They are sorta like the Yeti and Bigfoot. Many supposed sightings but no provable contact. Maybe they are a hoax by some 2+2 insiders to fool the general public - like the crop circles.

SNAKEHEAD IN PERSON - Met the real Mr Snakehead while he was seated during WSOP main event. He looked quite spiffy wearing his online site gear, but he really does not look like his 2+2 icon.

Part 2 posted in a few minutes
Old 06-02-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Part 2

WSOP CROWD SURGE - Thursday May 20th, the crowds just exploded at the Horseshoe. There had been a few more people on the Wednesday, but by Thursday it was jam packed. Everything was full, but the Supers especially. they even had to shut off the $50 one table Sats into the Supers. I think about an extra 2000 young guys came to town on Thursday and all were gonna enter a Super and then win their way into the Main Event and be on TV.

LAUGHLIN (YAWN) - Told my buddy it was something he should see and that it was on the way to LA. Both statements are wrong. Had called ahead for the poker room rate of $15, but it had not been coordinated so we had to pay the full rate of $22. I think you get a buffet and a boat ride with the full fee. Several of the properties had (mostly empty) poker rooms with only one table going. Game at many was 2-6 holdem. Riverside had 3-6. Belle had many tables going and their game was 2-5 with a kill, so we played there. Asked about Felicia Lee, and the floorman almost took a swing at me.
I was in Laughlin once before in 1991. The properties are still big and nice and the river is still an attraction; but the area seems to have gone downmarket.

CALIFORNIA OR BUST - Another scenic drive thru Victorville and Barstow. Commerce hotel is a great facility with an $89 poker rate. Commerce had 6-12, 9-18, 15-30 and up. Bike had 6-12, 8-16, 10-20 and up. Conventional wisdom is that California players are wild and crazy. Now I know - ITS ALL TRUE. "Gamble, gamble, gamble!" Players gleefully flinging their chips at the pot. Seriously, one table I went into and folded the first hand while the other 8 all called. The next hand the same thing--all are in except me. I see a couple of them look at me like; he doesn't know how to play this game. The dealers do not pile the chips into a mound in the center either. By the river the table looks like a sea of chips spread out all over. The chips are all the wrong colors too.
Got to meet Rick Neb(however-youpronounceit)iolo and the beautiful "E". Rick and I in the same 10-20 game and neither plays a hand - very exciting.

FAVORITE POKER ROOMS -
1. Mirage. Still the best overall setting.
2. Mandalay. Beautiful, usually good games, saw 10-20 on weekends, too bad they still have smoking.
3. Bellagio. Wow, their 8-16 and 15-30 is good sometimes. Lists are way too long, too noisy, too cramped. Biggest games and names up on the deck though.
4. Golden Nugget. I liked the new room. Very spacious and everything new. Good games, good floorstaff. Inexperienced dealers though.

See you next year, Vegas guys.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:14 PM

Default Re: \"Loose in Las Vegas\" - two weeks in May

Sorry I missed you at the WPDG. I always have to leave early because I'm committed to playing a tournament at 5 PM at Royal Vegas Poker. I don't like leaving early, but have no choice. If I had known you were looking for me, I would have made a point of saying, "Hello."
Next year.
Regards,
Al
Old 06-05-2004, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Part 2

<<Asked about Felicia Lee, and the floorman almost took a swing at me.>>

Hehe! That must have been hilarious, because he was the reason I got banned from the Belle in the first place. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall.

I'm glad you had a fun time!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net
Old 06-06-2004, 12:48 AM

She has led me to a rocky tightazz game full of Mirage day shift players. grrrr

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But, my darling Abe, this IS the good game.! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And....how about the buffet that was almost 100% comped? No tricks there, my dear. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Great to see you, and thanks for the cute gifts.

LGPG,

Babe [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2004, 01:53 AM

Abe,

Nice report. I was pleasently surprized when I received an email from PokerPages letting us know that Greg Raymer had won the WSOP. It's our turn next time. I could not go to the WSOP this year due to work commitments, but hopefully next year.

Anyway, are you going to the Jack Binion Mid-America Poker Classic at the end of July? Room rates are just $50. I'm planning on going from Aug 2 to the 8th. See you there.

Good Luck

Mark
Old 06-06-2004, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DYNASTY AND CLARKMEISTER - Two years in a row now and I have not met EITHER of these two guys. My new theory is that they are not real people. They are sorta like the Yeti and Bigfoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clark's the yeti and Dynasty is bigfoot. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

They actually do exist too.

al
Old 06-08-2004, 09:56 AM

Default Tunica

mah,

"Am I going to Tunica for the tournament?"

Whats this? A trick question?

Sure----I'll be there. Just draw a mental triangle. Connect the Gold Strike poker room, the Horseshoe poker room and the actual Tournament area. I will rarely venture outside that triangle. See you there.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<<Asked about Felicia Lee, and the floorman almost took a swing at me.>>

Hehe! That must have been hilarious, because he was the reason I got banned from the Belle in the first place. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall.

I'm glad you had a fun time!

[/ QUOTE ]
As a follow-up on this, I heard that Glen got demoted back to a dealer (after years of being a floorman).

Perhaps he knew of his impending demotion, and that is why he was so hostile to you.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net
Old 06-28-2004, 07:25 PM

What time does the WPDG meet, and where in the Bellagio?