Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 06-01-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Bad Ass Monitors: I Want One (Advice Needed!)

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but...

I am in the market for a new computer monitor. I currently have a 15" Dell 1024 res. flat panel monitor. It's okay, but the size, and more importantly, and resolution is not conducive to online poker. I can only do two tables without severely overlapping. Considering that I usually four table at Party, this makes for frantic clicking and the inablity to really watch the games when not in a hand.

So...
I am getting a new monitor and have narrowed it down to two choices.

Dell 23" TV/Monitor

and

Dell 20.1 High Def. Monitor

The 23" also doubles as a 16X9 screen ratio, has the option to watch Tv while on the computer, and the I-have-a-plasma-tv-biotch appeal. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The 20" has better resolution (1600x1200),4x3 screen ratio, and is about $800-900 plus shipping, compared to $1440 with shipping for the 23" TV/monitor.

If anyone has any pros/cons for these monitors (esp. the Dell 23" bc I have yet to hear any user comments about it), please let me know as this is a big decision ($$) for me.

Thanks for all the help and advice,

FsuPlayer

BTW I have played Party on my parents 17" 1260 res. monitor and was able to fit 4 screens with just a little overlap, any idea how the party screens fit on monitors with the above resolution? Does size of the monitor have anything to do with that, or is it just resolution?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Bad Ass Monitors: I Want One (Advice Needed!)

I have the Dell 2001FP and I love it. I got it for about $750 so you can find a better price than quoted there. I love it because it fits four Party screens with no overlap and is not that hard on the eyes at the 1600X1200 resolutions.

Regards
Old 06-01-2004, 06:40 PM

I don't think the 23" TV/monitor is worth the money unless you plan on using it as a TV first then ALSO as a monitor. The 2001FP is a better computer monitor, it's cheaper, and you can use it as a TV if you have the proper video card. I have the 2001FP and a ATI AIW 9800 pro video card. So with my current setup I have 2 tables of party going, one web browers, and one equally sized window with the TV going. It's pretty sweet. Also if you get a good card , like mine, not only can you watch TV but you can use it like a TIVO. Then if you own a DVD burner..you can burn all your favorite shows on DVD and have a little collection. It's pretty awesome. If you need any help with this I'd be more than happy to help.

Also, I got my 2001fp from the refurbished store about 2 months ago for like 750. Some people don't like refurbished but personally I've never had any problems.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:12 PM

That sounds like a wonderful setup you have there!
Couple of questions:
How much is a video card like the one mentioned?
Where can I get a refurbished one (20.1) from reputable place?
Here is my situation:
I will be using it as a monitor first, then as a tv.
That being said, i think I found a dell 23" today for $1000 plus shipping.
But I still have not found a 20.1 for under $900 with shipping and all.
So the question is, should I pay $900 for the 20.1, or pay slightly more for the flat TV?
I wish I could talk to someone who has used the 23" as a monitor...

Thanks again for the help,

FsuPlayer
Old 06-01-2004, 07:25 PM

I got mine on ebay from this seller (I have no affiliation). Price is $750.

eBay
Old 06-01-2004, 08:03 PM

I have the ATI AIW 9800 PRO...it's a TV tuner card and a top of the line video card for gaming. It was expensive, like 325 bucks. But if you're not into gaming and you just want a TIVO, you can get away with the ATI AIW 9700 or 9600. The 9700 is 200 bucks and the 9600 is 162. www.newegg.com is a good site to get these videocards.

As for the refurbished dell monitor what better place to get this than dell...currently it's 800 with 10% off so 720+shipping. Here is the link to the dell refurbised store http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...l=en&s=dfh

Good luck. One last thing, you'll need a monster HD because the TV files can get pretty big, something like 1.5 GB per hour of tv. I have a 200GB drive and about 100 of it is dedicated to TV files.

My bro actually has the Dell 17" TV/monitor it's basically a smaller version of the one you want. He love the thing and says the TV picture is great. He uses it as his primary TV for his dormroom. The only thing that sucks is that the max resolution is 1280x768. For the 23" I think it's the same. Generally you need 1600x1200 to multitable without overlap, also for spreadsheets, games, you sometimes want to run 1600x1200. I have to say though 23" is huge and it would be cool. Also just note that it's an LCD TV/monitor not a Plasma.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:23 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

it constantly goes on sale for $750 at dell small business, brand new
Old 06-01-2004, 11:59 PM

Well, it looks like it's fairly unamimous...the Dell 2001FP it very well may be. The resolution difference sounds good great to give up, and it will be big enough to watch tv on as well when I want to.
I will look more into the video card after I get the monitor.
As far as the hard drive for the Tivo: not an issue as I already have a tivo on my other TV. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So I think i will get the 20 incher and maybe save the extra money for a real flat panel TV 30" or bigger someday...

BTW Yeknom-
You are right that the 23" is not a plasma, but an LCD. I believe that all flat panel tv's under 35" or so are LCD. The plasma is used for the larger models that cant incorparate the LCD technology and must use the plasma tech.

Thanks for all the help,

FsuPlayer

Ps Please post (or PM me) any updates of prices of this monitor when ever you find them. Thanks!