Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 01:30 AM

Default Tunica,Horseshoe

My friends and I will be heading to Tunica for two weeks from Detroit. Which players should we avoid playing against
at the 20/40 and 10/20 games? We want to hold on to our bankroll for at leat the two weeks of our stay.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Tunica,Horseshoe

We want to hold on to our bankroll
Which players should we avoid playing against

All of them.

Welcome to 2+2.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:43 AM

My friends and I will be heading to Tunica for two weeks

Are you serving penance for past sins or something?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:46 AM

good reply.

sorry i cant help but i only play the smaller games at HS (because of bankroll and experience considerations...not because of quality of game).

i do know that on weekends ALL of the games can get pretty wild at HS.
the tougher players should make themselves apparent to you fairly quickly.
the tourists who are in town for a weekend to get hammered and play poker for 48-hours straight should make themselves apparent as well....
if you fall into this latter group hopefully you still have the talent to beat these games.

at the 4/8 level...most of the out-of-towners also happened to be the lousier players....but this is a VERY general characterization. there are some out-of-towners who are decent to good...and there are definately many many locals who are just plain awful.

not sure about this mentality of just wanting to 'hold onto your bankrolls'. you should be going there to Win Win Win!!!

2 weeks is a heck of a long time for a Tunica 'vacation' isnt it??

good luck....
Old 05-26-2004, 02:04 PM

the good ole horseshoe. I played there last thanksgiving. i was visiting family in little rock arkansas, and tunica is only a couple hours away. My first impression of the poker room was "what do you expect this is mississippi!". but it wasnt too bad. i played $10-20 with a modest bankroll of $500. Table had 2-3 guys who I suspected were local pros and they were licking thier chops. My first hand at table i wont ever forget. I have (3,3) and flop is (7,7,3) we proceed to cap out every street. I really thought this guy was an idiot. he was a black guy with bling bling jewelry and ear-rings. but i turned out to be the idiot when he flips over pocket sevens for the huge pot!

OH, back to your question, i played for about 3 hours. end up down $100. Like i said there were 2-3 very good players and the rest were loose tourist. just be careful and dont judge a book by its cover. I really didnt give the "bling bling" looking guy any chance of having pocket sevens. good luck.

ps--2 weeks is awful long time to spend in tunica. enjoy the free drinks!
Old 05-27-2004, 12:23 AM

I've only played the 4-8 and below. One of the local pros swears that the 20-40 at the Shoe is the loosest game in town. All my observations from the rail point to both 10-20 and 20-40 being pretty loose. 5-6 players seeing the flop etc...
Old 05-27-2004, 01:49 AM

I work at the shoe. Feel free to PM me and I will be happy to let ya know a little bit. These are some great 20/40 games here. The last few days have been exceptionally live.
Some of the regular pros(of which maybe 6-7 actually make a living the rest are wannabes. read-losing players)have been MIA for a couple days. allowing more room in the fish barrel.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really thought this guy was an idiot. he was a black guy with bling bling jewelry and ear-rings.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should think about what prejudices may make you say things like this.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:00 AM

Thank you all for your input. It was most informative.
We will be hitting the tables this Sunday. We have being
playing poker mostly on the internet. We will be pooling our resources hoping to squeak out a profit. Thanks again. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]