Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 10:16 AM

Default Jimmy Kimmel\'s Cousin Sal in WSOP

On the Jimmy Kimmel show last night they cut away several times to go live to the WSOP. Kimmel had apparantly paid the $10k entry fee to enter his Cousin Sal into the event. Cousin Sal has been doing fairly well with a stack around 35k despite having just learned the game a few days earlier.

I'll be honest I rarely watch the show so I have no idea if Cousin Sal or Kimmel's Aunt (who was doing the interview while Sal played in the backround) are recurring guests. Maybe someone can expand on this a little.

Here is an Article from Card Player. Kimmel's Cousin Sal is seen in the bottom photo.

TheRake
Old 05-25-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Jimmy Kimmel\'s Cousin Sal in WSOP

I watch Jimmy Kimmel regularly (now that we get it in DC... finally), and caught it last night. Later in the show, they went back just as Sal went all in, and doubled up (you could only see the table from a distance, but it looked like he had something like a flopped two pair with AK up again pocket 4's.. or something).

I have looked all over the latest standing on pokerpages.com and have not been able to find him. I'm guessing Sal is short for his full first name, and that he is from Jimmy's mom's side of the family and doesn't share his last name.

Sal is a regular guest. You may also recall that he took over for Jimmy on Win Ben Stein's Money for a season. Jimmy likes to feature his family members on his shows (also including his son and his uncle)... I think that the band leader is also his best friend from high school or something.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:43 PM

Pokervoice has a ton of stuff on Cousin Sal. His full name is somewhere there.

I'm just hoping this spawns a good Bill Simmons bit.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:59 PM

Simmons quit working on the show a couple of weeks ago to write for ESPN full time again. Good news and bad news- more columns, but not as many about all the whackiness on the show.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:21 PM

I feel like he was always holding back anyway...there were never as many columns about the show as I had hoped. He has a good column today, gives some props to Seattle as a tortured sports city. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2004, 02:07 PM

I know, but I figured that he's still friends with Sal, so it might warrent a mention anyway.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have looked all over the latest standing on pokerpages.com and have not been able to find him. I'm guessing Sal is short for his full first name, and that he is from Jimmy's mom's side of the family and doesn't share his last name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Near the bottom of the article in the original post is a picture of him with some of the CardPlayer guys. It says his name is "Cousin Sal" Iacono.