Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2002, 03:14 AM

Default Credit where it\'s due - Barry Tanenbaum

One of the great limit hold'em players I know has de-cloaked.

Barry Tanenbaum, who used to pound on the big games in San Jose, is now pounding on the 30-60 and 80-160 games at the Bellagio. I mention this because I have routinely referred to Barry as a mentor of mine, but never by name (at his request).

He is now making poker his career, and figures he might as well advertise. Well, I'm here to tell you that Barry is one of the clearest thinkers about poker (or anything else) that you'd ever want to meet.

In fact, it was he who came up with the rock/scissors/paper model for the Bellagio 80-160.

Not only that, but he's a hell of a nice guy, he's trying to bring opera to Las Vegas (now there's a slim draw), and he's got a beautiful and talented wife named Betty.

When you're at the Bellagio, tell Barry I said hi.

Regards, Lee
Old 04-26-2002, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Credit where it\'s due - Barry Tanenbaum

On Wednesday, I was lucky enough to meet Barry and to hear him tell some poker stories at the weekly-discussion-group thingie. He is a master comedian. The funniest tellings I've ever heard. Barry is a treasure. It only takes a moment next to him to know that.

Tommy
Old 04-26-2002, 10:30 AM

The Babe also knows and loves Barry. As Tommy mentioned, he told a story on Weds at our weekly PDG about flopping Quads that was the funniest thing I've heard for a long time. He is a gem, a genius and a really nice guy. Babe
Old 04-26-2002, 07:56 PM

Met him twice. Last December in a 30-60 game when I had no idea who he was. He was sitting next to me playing a very good game and we had a nice chat about his trips to Vancouver etc. Very friendly player. Just the type of image you want to project at the table and life in general.

I then was introduced to him last month by Howard Burroughs and Alan Schoonmaker. He not only knew that we were sitting next to each other in that December session, he also knew who was sitting on the other side of him and the topics of discussion among the three of us. Now, that's some memory. Now, I remembered him too but it was easy for me because (a) That was my one and only 30-60 session so far in my life and (b) he plays great. I don't know how he remembered me given that (a) he plays 30-60 and higher regularly and (b) I play like a schmuck.

Anyway, he chatted with Howrad, Alan, Cassie and me for about 30 minutes about a month ago and his ability to recount poker hands while explaining his thinking and the thinking of his opponents is truly mesmerizing.

Great guy. Great player.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:48 PM

Default sigh...

"...story on Weds at our weekly PDG...."

sigh, i want to move to vegas badly....until then i will just live thru my 2+2 gang's adventures...thanks for sharing!