Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2004, 07:30 PM

Default Milestone in my Poker Career : A Thank You

Hey guys,

Well, it's been a year now since I first registered here on 2+2, and what a year it's been. I looked back on my first few posts, and boy did I suck at poker. I was definitely a losing player 12 months ago, and still would be if it wasn't for the great help of the posters here, specifically in the Small Stakes. Poker has seriously changed my life; whether it's been for better or for worse is subjective, but there's no doubt that my life is different because of it. Since I became a winning player, something like 11 months ago probably, I've built up a bankroll from .5/1, quit my job, dropped out of college (though I still live on campus [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ), and am now playing poker full-time. I'm currently in the low mid-stakes (15/30 and 20/40 mostly), and probably will be for quite some time. The financial freedom that poker's given me has been a huge relief for me and allowed me to do a lot of things that I never would've been able to were it not for poker. So once again, I owe you all a whole lot. Bernie, JoeTall, Bob T, MG, Homer, Clark, Tommy, Lil, Rachele, Dynasty, MK, and a whole bunch of others who taught me the ropes and turned me from a losing player to a moderately winning one, you guys are the best.

Thanks again guys,

GoT
Old 05-07-2004, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Milestone in my Poker Career : A Thank You

You're thanking all these people for dropping out of college?

Poker is amazing, and even a good living. But there's so much cool stuff to know I don't think that's among the better ideas in history man.

Tons o' respect for your play.

No respect for the dropout. Unless you were in Psych, in which case you are better off.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:19 PM

I remember playing with you on the 3/6 games on Party about a year ago. I just went back and looked at some hands that you played in Pokertracker. The first two I looked at you cold called a raise with JTo and you limped in EP with J9o. You played OK post-flop though (actually I wasn't thrilled with the way I played a few of the hands)

I can't imagine why anyone would want to drop out of college. I hope you made the right decision for yourself. I don't know your reasons. I imagine you could go to college and still play a whole lot of poker, so I assume it wasn't entirely a poker thing.

Good luck and keep hanging around here. I need some serious help with my game.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:32 PM

I think turning pro is a great idea however dude you need to go to college. If for nothing else than the sense of satisfaction you get from finishing. It's real and it feels great. I may never use my degree but I am very thankful that I can say I have a college degree and I certainly would not want to be 65 and wishing I had gone to school.
Besides there are a ton of hot chicks on every college campus.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:16 PM

Screw that. College ain't for everybody, don't try and apply your standards to other folk.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:28 PM

Really....

Bill Gates dropped out, I know he only plays 3-6, but he is doing alright....
Old 05-08-2004, 02:40 AM

Congrats on the Milestone Guy. Forget all this bashing about your decision to drop out of college too, if your grades have been decent while you were in its not like you won't be able finish up a degree later on if you so choose (Hell, you can even pay with Poker money). The only downside would be losing out on the college "experience" and it sounds like you're doing just fine with that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 05-08-2004, 05:08 AM

Congratulations and continued success to you, GoT. You've worked hard to become a good player, and it is nice to see that you're reaping the benefits of your hard work. More importantly, you're a good person, and I enjoyed meeting you and The Dude on one of your recent visits.

I just passed the one year mark from the time I was dealt my first hand of Texas Holdem, and I can't believe that I have come so far this quickly. I still have a long way to go to become a really good player, but I share your sentiment in how much I have learned from the great ones in the forums (Dynasty, Clarkmeister, Tommy Angelo, Ed Miller just to name a few, there are so many others).

Best of luck to you, and I'm sure I'll be running in to you from time to time at the local rooms.

Old 05-08-2004, 12:07 PM

GOT,

It took me twice as long to get to where you did in less than a year. I'm jealous.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:18 PM

GOT,

Congrats and your welcome.

I have to through up the opposite type of post.

I start a real job 5-17-04 which means I will probably have to semi retire from playing poker [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Stay tuned for my swan song.