Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2002, 11:07 PM

Default The Question of Poker Railbirds

In today's Las Vegas Review-Journal, Barry Shulaman, the Card Player Publisher, gave an interesting interview where, among other things, he stated the following:

Q: "Are there concerns about poker crowds? Is there an unsavory element associated with poker?"

B. Shulman: "Poker has railbirds. These guys are totally broke. They don't work, they are not retired and they are bad people. We have done a poor job as an industry keeping railbirds from polluting the major-tournament scene."

I wonder if this is the prevalent sentiments among the poker players, tournament and side game alike, towards the railbirds.

What you think about it?

Centurion
Old 04-14-2002, 11:38 PM

Default Re: The Question of Poker Railbirds

Re: railbirds- It seems to me that if these "birds" could fly they would be playing poker instead of watching poker. I don't know if they could be called "bad people"- perhaps they are just "bad poker players"?. I'm sure it is annoying to have these characters gawking at you while in a "serious" game -- but then again....how is that different from you and I watching the final day of the WSOP from the stands? Does it make it different because we aren't broke and we are sitting instead of standing? I'll see ya there...Babe
Old 04-14-2002, 11:54 PM

While I agree with what Shulman says, I also think that the problem is improving. The main defense against this problem is the cardrooms themselves. They need to be aware of who the undesirables are and talk to them about cleaning up thier acts, and even barring people on occasion.

I remember the old days in Gardena where I first began to play. It was awful. It seemed as if everyone, including cardroom employees, had a hand out. Even a cup of coffee was 50 cents, and we had to regularly pay for new decks. So if the cardrooms were doing this, how could they stop undesirable customers from doing the same.

Today it is much different. The cardrooms are cleaned up, and the undesirables are much better controlled. Of course nothing is perfect and more work needs to be done in this area.
Old 04-15-2002, 12:36 AM

Default Barry Schulman has no Credibility

Barry Schulman, that worthless piece of human debris, can kiss my ass.
Old 04-15-2002, 12:48 AM

Centurion,

What's wrong with railbirds? I think there is a difference between spectators and undesirables. Personally, I like to watch players play poker. But, quite a few card rooms feel they have to give players privacy. I noticed this when I visited the Bellagio last year. It is very difficult to observe the higher limit action, unless you are in it.

Furthermore, I noticed the Mirage likes to put the bigger games up behind the Keno section, so you can't see anything.

Anyway, I've had railbirds ask for handouts and you just don't give them anything. If any of you players are have lived in a big city you would notice that the bums are much more aggressive.

Good Luck

Mark

Old 04-15-2002, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Barry Schulman has no Credibility

Barry Shulman is a regular player at The Bellagio and plays in lots of tournaments around the country. So you should be able to see him some time in the future. Why don't you and him have a conversation where you can make that offer to him directly. I bet you don't have the nerve. It's one thing to get on a forum like this and post anonymously, and I'm not very impressed.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:12 AM

Default Re: I remember an article about this

Daniel Negreanu wrote a Card Player article about 6 months ago about this. Apparently railbirds hurt him just a tinsy bit.

http://www.cardplayer.com/?sec=afeature&art_id=12189

I read it with some delight. Interesting. My only experience here in Minnesota is not like that at all. We have observers at the final tables in our tourneys, but no vultures waiting for handouts. I don't mind players watching, but yeah, looking for the winner to hit him up would be a pain in the ass.

No one EVER gets a handout from me...and I don't want anyone staking me either. I want ALL the benefits of winning.

RB

Old 04-15-2002, 01:16 PM

Whiskey--Yes, that was an excellent article by Daniel. I agree...there are NO handouts or deals in poker! Babe
Old 04-15-2002, 05:30 PM

i think roy cooke mentioned this very thing in an article about negreanu.

Pat
Old 04-15-2002, 09:18 PM

Default Fool and his money...

If people wouldn't be idiots and give them money, they would stop asking.