Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2004, 03:07 PM

Default What do I do with this KJo??

This is a situation where it's often difficult for me to chose between 2 basic SNG principles: "patience" vs. "aggressiveness".

It comes when I'm pretty short-stacked, not desperate, have a little better than mediocre hand, and position. What is the better move?

Example:

2-tables 33$ SNG. We're seven at the table (13 overall). Blinds are 75/150. I'm with 1240, on the button.

SB is big stack (4820) a tricky-aggressive player. Made some loose calls, and aggressive moves with garbage hands.

BB is with 890. Tight player.

It's folded to me, with KJo.

What's my move?
Old 03-20-2004, 05:24 PM

Default Re: What do I do with this KJo??

personally, i'd bet 350ish call a SB re-raise, fold to a BB re-raise
Old 03-21-2004, 01:53 AM

If its folded to you on the button you gotta raise here. The good thing about if you are called is that you still have position and get to see what your opponents do. The blinds are big enough now that stealing here is important. 90% of the time if you raise you will steal the blinds or get called, see a flop, get checked to, bet, then take it. I'd be aggressive here.

Ryan_21
Old 03-21-2004, 08:12 AM

Definately think the raise that doesn't pot-commit you is a good play here...depends on how quickly the blinds will be increasing and by how much.....can't expect a call from QTs
Old 03-21-2004, 08:41 AM

I would probably fold this. It is a hand which will get you in a lot of trouble.

Betting less than 2.5BB will likely leave you with at least one caller. 2.5BB is nearly 1/3 of your stack.
There are almost no flops that you could bet with confidence on the flop. You are stealing before the flop with the only hope of bluffing or playing a weak hand on the flop. Not a good thing to do.

A reraise from either player means that you have to fold.

If you had a good feeling that both players are weak and will fold to a 2.5BB raise then maybe it is worth doing. However with your knowledge that you have a tricky player there you need to get rid of this hand.

This is exactly the stage of the tournament when you need to only be playing premium hands. You are confusing "aggressiveness" with "looseness". Being aggressive is about how much you bet when you play a hand, not how many hands you play. So you can be both patient and aggressive.

sit tight!

Tim
Old 03-21-2004, 05:43 PM

I would fold, knowing that the idiot BB will probably call with anything, especially garbage like QTo. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 11:41 PM

It's hands like these that always get me in real trouble. The problem is, that when you do get called, you are likely up against an ace, and if you are reraised, you are also likely up against an ace or a pair.

With your stack...I might wait for a better spot...then again, I just admitted that these hands get me in trouble, so I'd probably raise and lose my 300 chips.

CCC