Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2004, 05:00 PM

Default A Leaderboard decision!

Ok...

Me, Doc, Tim and some others have all privately been discussing a new and better system and a decision has been made

Past results, unfortunately (or fortunately perhaps? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) will not be counted. This will all start fresh with our next two sngs and will continue after that. (Sorry Byron. For what it's worth we could all guess who was leading the European standings anyways)

In this way you all have fair warning that it will be happening and you all will be familiar with the methodology that will be used

So, here it is:

a) there will be two leaderboards. These will accommodate our two playing times and will be refered to as our European and North American leaderboards. This by no means suggests that europeans should only play that time or vice versa. Play one or both or whatever - no matter where you are. All I'm saying is that the points will be calculated separately. In this way you will be able to play only one time each week and remain very competitive.

b) All names on the leaderboard will be Pokerstars names

c) the leaderboard will start next week but will continue to accumulate until ten weeks have passed. After this, only the most recent ten weeks will be used in the points calculations.

d)Players who have only played one tournament and who did not make the money will have leaderboard points calculated, but will not be listed in the standings until they have played a second tournament. This will prevent non-2+2 players from making our leaderboard a mile long.
(I may make an exception to this on our first week so that we have a leaderbaod with more than 4 people on it to start. It wont really matter either way after a while.)

Points will be calculated for each tournament as follows:

2 pts for playing
+2 pt for each player you finish higher than (0.36 pts for each % of the field you finish higher than)
+3 pts for making the final table
+5 pts for 4th place
+10 pts for 3rd
+15 pts for 2nd
+25 pts for 1st
+1 pt for every $2 in prize money

This looks like:

1st 100pts
2nd 79pts
3rd 63pts
4th 47pts
5th 31pts
6th 29pts
7th 27pts
8th 25pts
9th 23pts
10th 18pts
11th 16pts
12th 14pts
13th 12pts
14th 10pts
15th 8pts
16th 6pts
17th 4pts
18th 2pts

if interest swells and we start playing more than one game, the 2nd game may be counted provided that at least half the field is 2+2. Additionally, only the highest result from a single player will be used if one player plays in both.

The leaderboard will also include:

Average finish (to honour those who can't play many but who do well)
Prize $$$ totals

I may also include long term stats like longest winning streaks etc..., but I will not do this on a regular basis.

My intention is to post the leaderboards here each week, but I will also try to post them on a separate web address.

This leaderboard is in the spirit of competition, but it is meant to enhance the social nature of our game more than anything. In this sense, it will make our 2+2 sngs kind of a 'league' thing. This points system reflects this somewhat by rewarding players not just for making the money all the time, but also for just showing up and making the occasional final table.

Sorry for getting all your hopes up about the past 5 weeks of results. It all starts next week so get your game faces on!

Oh, the possibility has been discussed about eventually matching up our European vs N.American leaders. Perhaps this is something we could implement down the road.

This is the decision, and it's gonna happen this time - I promise (probably [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

Any thoughts?

Regards all,
Brad S
Old 03-18-2004, 05:54 PM

Default Re: A Leaderboard decision!

this sounds totally great Aleo,
Thanks in advance for all the hard work that will go into this. You must have more free time than I. Anyways, mucho props to you Aleo. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2004, 06:12 PM

Excellent.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:01 PM

Are you going to break it down into mini seasons? Just wondering because it turns out that you will starting during the first week of Spring.

I like what ever your plan will be, I liked the KOTZ also but the timing for that was bad for me.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:10 AM

Yep good work Aleo.

Sorry about my overly harsh post earlier on. Anyway it seems to have worked [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You have now created what looks like an excellent Leaderboard system.

I reckon relax the "2 game rule" for the first 3 or 4, just to get things moving.

I look forward to being at the top of it! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
Old 03-19-2004, 07:08 AM

Excellent stuff, well done

stoneii
Old 03-19-2004, 07:24 AM

Great news.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:17 AM

As noted in my longer survey post: There has been a lot of discussion, hollering, etc, about the leaderboard to get the details worked out.

I think AleoMagus and simon have done a super job of putting this together. I hope it will encourage a lot of 2+2ers that we know are great players to get involved regularly in the SNG games. They really are a lot of fun, and as Stoneii indicates, a terrific value to get a weekly chance to play with this calibre of players for only $11.

Thanks to AleoMagus and simon for a good job.

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2004, 09:17 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

Damn, until now I could just hope my bad results in these SNGs would vanish, barely noticed (besides from the weekly gloating from Doc who has developed a very sadist habit of sending me to the rail [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) but this means I am now going to be forced to keep up the appearences [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Brad and Simon, good job, but you are a pain in the .... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Take care,
William
Old 03-20-2004, 11:41 AM

William,
One of the concerns expressed among the group that formulated these changes to try to pump up some additional interest in the SNG games, was that a less than glowing position in the rankings might cause some of our better players to choose to not play rather than look bad in the standings. Over the long term, I do not think that would happen. The cream always rises to the top. I hope that that circumstance would not happen in the short term. We really do enjoy getting to play with you and the other really good players, especially when we can brag once in a while about a good result or two.

See you at the SNG games.

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]