Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2004, 06:14 PM

Default do you make this call heads up/

final 2 of a single table tourney.

I got about 6000 chips; he has about 4000

Dealt Qh-Kh is BB with blinds of 150-300. He limps, I Raise to 600, he calls.

1200 in pot now, his stack is 3400, mine is 5400.
Flop comes 2-4-5 with 2 hearts. He checks, I bet 300, he raises all in.

I folded it....If I knew for sure that he had a hand like 8-8 or 5-x, then I'd call, but I feared that he had 2 pair or a set and was fast playing to keep the flush out...I didn't want to take any chances since I would still have the chip lead no matter what.

Looking back, I think that the odds on that hand would've definitely told me to call...but I don't think it was worth risking almost my whole tourney on that.

I did end up winning later on if that means anything, but what does everyone think of my fold here/
Old 03-12-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Re: do you make this call heads up/

I think I would fold here. I can't imagine you are ahead, and you have good reason to suspect your overcards are no good (he could have A3 too (would he raise with any ace?).

I would have made a bigger flop bet. His all-in may have been a response to this fairly small bet into a T1200 pot...
Old 03-12-2004, 06:31 PM

I think the biggest problem is the measly min raise preflop. I would have gone to 900 at least. When someone limps to me and I have anything even vaguely resembling a hand (and sometimes not even that) I'll reraise 3-4X BB. Nobody's limping in with crap to hit a flop on my watch. But hell, KQs is a solid hand heads up and its more than worthy of a good sized raise.

On the other side, often when heads up (especially when I have a stack) I will call a min raise with almost anything. So if I have 72o and the flop comes rags or even better I catch a piece of it then I can often take it down. If I know the other player will fold if he doesn't hit (very common when heads up in low limit SNGs) I'll just throw something out on any ragged flop.

So by not putting out a decent raise you know nothing about the other player's holding and this almost have to fold in the face of this.
All this player dependent, but its pretty true in general.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:36 PM

I missed the fact that he minraised. Especially after someone has limped, you need to put in a raise with a hand like this that has a chance of taking the pot down immediately. I'd probably make it 1000 to go here.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:45 PM

I would agree completely with everyone else, raise to atleast 1k.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:53 AM

point taken about raising more preflop....but what does everyone think of the fold/
Old 03-13-2004, 04:19 AM

Hi jwv,

I think the fold is fine.

The general rule for heads-up play is that, if you're the better player, and if the money is deep, you want to avoid all-in showdowns unless you have a big hand. As the better player, you'll be able to grind him down, so you don't have to take all-in risks on shaky hands. This is especially true if he folds too often. You can be patient, dragging pot after pot on steals, and sooner or later, you'll either catch or flop a hand with which to bust him.

If you thought you were the better player, then folding was the correct play. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cris
Old 03-13-2004, 03:04 PM

I don't see folding as a good option. There is plenty of money in the pot, and while you are rarely a big favorite, you are never a big dog either (except to Axh, which most players wouldn't limp with). With the money in the pot, you won't have a chip lead if you fold, and you will still be alive if you call and lose.

Craig
Old 03-13-2004, 03:14 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

Normally, if he has hit a set or has A3, there is no reason to scare you away. He has peactically a lock on you. No need to worry about him trying to protect his hand fearing a flush draw on your side. That's like seeing ghosts.

I guess it's ok to fold if that leaves you with enough chips to play on, but I think he realized that you totally missed the flop and he decided to put pressure on you. And if t's the scenario, it was a good move.

William