Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2004, 12:17 PM

Default Pushed in with 78o

It's semi-late at a Party 10+1 SnG (Blinds 50/100) and I am the very short stack with T350. I get 78o UTG (6 left at this point) and push in. The BB, who's been squawking all game laid down an AT (so he claims) when I pushed in with A8s in a similar situation one orbit ago. He calls. He has ATo again. Well, a 7 comes on the flop. He doesn't improve and I double up to T700. He proceeds to rip me a new one for a few minutes and I bite and we go back and forth for a few (I know...I know...shouldn't do that). His comment was "only a matter of time before I have all your chips".

Well, sure enough I get AQs UTG and push in with my T550. All fold to him again and he calls with A7o. Q on the flop, and I double through him again. I couldn't resist typing..."only a matter of time". He busted out later calling AK with AJ. He finished 6th.

Well, now that I've bored you with this rambling story...anybody else think pushing with 78o and that stack is a terrible move? I realize that waiting for Ax or a pair might be better, but figured I'd likely have two live cards unless there was a big pair out there. Plus, I was very shortstacked and felt I might not see a big hand soon. Anxious to hear opinions. Was as I as dumb as this guy made me out to be?

CCC
Old 03-11-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Pushed in with 78o

I think your push was fine. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I have had experiences similar to yours many times myself. A lot of people don't know how to adjust for very short stacks in these tournaments.

Paul
Old 03-11-2004, 02:12 PM

Exactly.

I guess the other guy expects him to blind out rather than take a chance with any marginal hand.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:41 PM

I think its a very poor move. If you feel the need to push all in on a complete bluff at least do it with position. UTG is the worst spot to do it from.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:13 PM

I think it's an ok move. Being UTG means that you've got to fold a lot of players, but with the $100 blind coming up, this is the last chance you have to raise and not get called.

Old 03-11-2004, 07:21 PM

This was really supposed to be a blind steal with cards that, while I'm not happy with getting called, at least I have some ways of making a hand. Raising from EP has some advantages in that people generally will think you have a better hand than you actually do.

Besides, I was about to be blinded away to T200, and this was my last opportunity, in my opinion, to steal a blind. But I understand your point. Had I had a hand earlier in the orbit, I would have tried it. Thanks for the response.

CCC
Old 03-11-2004, 09:09 PM

I think its a good move. You have a hand unlikely to be dominated. You are a bit desperate so you have to make a move.