Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2004, 08:51 PM

Default How Bad Was This Push?

$100 Buy-In, 20 Entrants, start with T1000

Down to the final 4 (all 4 spots get paid) but 4th only gets little more than their buy-in back. I made what I know to be a stupid play to get knocked out, I just want to know how stupid (my short-handed game needs much improvement).

I am the short stack after several ill-advised semi-bluffs and one beat. I haven't seen a decent hand in several rounds (hence the desperate bluff attempts). Blinds are 150/300, I'm in the BB (around T2000 after posting) and get A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

CO (T5500) folds, Button (T7000) folds, SB (T5000), min-raises. After thinking (or rather not thinking) on it, and staring at the T900 sitting on the felt, I decide to push all-in. SB thinks for some time and calls with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I do not outdraw him and am bounced from the tourney.

My rationale was "I read his min-raise as a weak steal of my blind, I haven't seen great cards in a while, I need chips, he is a tighter player who might lay down a better Ace, if he has a monster so be it."

How bad is my thinking on this? And would you call my all-in with his hand and stack? (Again, short-handed values of hands throw me.)

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Old 03-08-2004, 09:14 PM

Default Re: How Bad Was This Push?

Depends on SB. If he'd been min-raising every time when it was folded to him in the button or SB, I think it is automatic. If he'd been making 'standard' raises and this was anamolous, this might be a fold (since it sure looks like he wants a call here).

In his shoes, I'd call your re-raise in an instant. However, when folded to in the SB with the BB having less than 10x the BB, I'd have just pushed all-in in the first place, not futzed around with a minimum raise.