Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 03-08-2004, 06:11 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Did I miss a memo?

I was playing an $11 SNG on Party the other day, and after a couple of bad bluffs and other errors on my part, I found myself down to T40. Ok, I knew I wasn't long for the table, but I figured I'd keep scrapping until I couldn't help losing my last chip. Then one of the other players (who'd been saying "tilt" after each of my losses and making snide remarks) piped up with, "C'mon, Count, get it over with already!" (or words to that effect). I was confused, and responded, "What, I can't take 5 sec. to decide what to do?!" He then demanded that I "give away my chips". When I informed him that I intended to do what I could with what I had, he replied with "Yeah, like raising with crap?"

Well, the (almost) inevitable happened, and I busted out. But it did leave me a little upset, and I made sure to make a note on him to record the incident, and I hope to take vengeance on him later (he ended up busting out in 4th, just missing the money, which was a little satisfying; it would have been a lot satisfying if I could have staged a miracle comeback and been responsible for his elimination myself...).

But anyway, is there some etiquette rule I've missed that says if you're down below a certain amount, you're supposed to just give up and donate your chips to the table? I thought we were supposed to duke it out until forced out, not just roll over and play dead. Sheesh!

/vent

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Mike

Old 03-08-2004, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Did I miss a memo?

Never give up, never surrender.
I won SNG once after having 30 chips , 4 people left and blinds 200/400. Quite unlikely to happen again in my lifetime [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2004, 06:36 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

Thanks for the validation. The way I see it, those 40 chips might - just might - pick up some friends in a multi-way pot and turn into 200 (hey, I can dream, can't I?!? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). Then those 200 can do something similar, and the next thing I know, I'm back in contention! It would take some serious luck, sure; but this guy really rubbed me the wrong way with his demands for me to roll over and play dead for him. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I'll get him some day. I swear I will.... And I hope it's at a much higher stakes table when I do.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Mike
Old 03-08-2004, 06:40 PM

Hi Mike,

Rule #1 of online poker: ignore table chat.
Rule #2 of online poker: Don't forget Rule #1.

Cris
Old 03-08-2004, 06:41 PM

If you have 40 chips left their current equity in a 10+1 SNG is around $0.50. in a 100+9 SNG it would be $5. Why would you just give somebody $5?
Old 03-08-2004, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mike,

Rule #1 of online poker: ignore table chat.
Rule #2 of online poker: Don't forget Rule #1.

Cris

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I frequently have chat turned off, but every so often, I can't resist turning it on to see what people are saying. I suppose it shouldn't bother me if people are saying "nh" and think I'm rude because I'm not saying "ty" in return, or not saying "nh" to them when they win. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Mike
Old 03-08-2004, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But anyway, is there some etiquette rule I've missed that says if you're down below a certain amount, you're supposed to just give up and donate your chips to the table? I thought we were supposed to duke it out until forced out, not just roll over and play dead. Sheesh!

/vent

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep on fighting. I've been down to 100 in chips and fought back to take 2nd. My buddy in a B&M tournament was all-in with 43 on his big blind. 4 people called. He hit a 4 on the flop. Everyone checked down to the river. His 4s held up and he quintupled up. A couple hours later, he was at the final table and made over $1000. Keep fighting.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:19 PM

Mike,
Two weeks ago, I made an all in bet at about the end of the first hour of a multi. Lost. Had T175 left. Caught somewhat the same ration of S... you did. I did not cash in the tourn, just missed the bubble, but I did have the privelidge in the middle of the third hour to dump my T40000 into the pot on an all in from the mouth that roared in the first hour and put him out.

Even without cashing in the tourn, it did feel really good.

Quote from Jimmy Valvano, (N.C.State basketball coach, who was at the time talking not only about cancer, but about life): "Don't give up. Don't EVER give up!"

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(And turn off that silly chat line!)
Old 03-08-2004, 11:38 PM

Count here is a little story that happened to me.
I was playing in a multi table on Stars, for anyone who might care my screen name is DaEvictor( this is because of my line of work). I was having a pretty good tourney, you know small talking with everyone, I like to chat, maybe thats my problem, but nothing mean you know, just stupid chit chat. Well I called someones all in, and of course lost almost everythign, I was left with 60 I think, with blinds around 150/300 I think. Anyways some guy who never said anything to me, never even played a hand against me says "hahah evicted", I was like excuse mutha fucka??? I said whats your problem? he said shut up go home, yada yada yada, you know the drill. anyways I was knocked out shortly there after. I told this punk, funny your the one talking [censored] , but you did nothing to knock me out. So I said " I never do this but I am going to watch for a couple minutes and wait for you to get knocked out, just for my amusement." which happened shortly there after.
I hate [censored] talkers online, especially when they are morons. You should, IMO, take every oppurtunity to enjoy their sorrows, and you should play them again and take all of their chips. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2004, 12:07 AM

Never give up. I won with 70 and I've seen a guy win with 15.