Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 03-07-2004, 12:45 PM

Default Me and tourneys

I am just about to start playing again,probably exclusively(one table)tournaments. I play on Empire poker and am starting with a $100 bankroll. I have played the NL$25 live games already. I would consider myself a decent player, definately better than most I have played against on the NL$25 tables. I just wanted to ask what way anyone would recommend I start with tournaments. I thought I would start off on the $5 tables,and work my way up if things go well. Or do you think those tables are too unpredictable, too many maniacs etc.? Or maybe you have some tips on how to approach these games,and the maniacs!? Thanks v.much folks!!
-Cian
Old 03-07-2004, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Me and tourneys

If you are planning to play on Empire and think that you have a chance of winning, skip the $5 tourneys.

Play the $10+1 tourneys instead or better yet, take your $100 to pokerstars and play the $5 tourneys there until you have a bit more.

The problem is the fee. 10+1 vs 5+1. that's the same $1 going into Empire's pockets with smaller payoff. Between Empire and Pokerstars (who offer $5+.50) that means that in 200 tourneys you will save $100. Hopefully not, but this could be the difference between winning and losing.

As far as unpredictability and maniacs are concerned, that's usually a good thing but it will get frustrating at times.

Good Luck
Brad S
Old 03-08-2004, 01:32 PM

The difference between the 5 and 10 tables is minimal, so pick whichever you feel more comfortable at with your bankroll.

Regarding playing with the maniacs...simply let them eliminate themselves early on. Sit back and laugh at those who go all in early in a tourney with hands like 9-9 and A-Qos. There will be some bad swings for you at the lower limits where you'll be constantly outdrawn by poor hands getting lucky, but don't get discouraged.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:58 PM

I don't know about Empire, but at UB, where I have been playing, tight play is highly rewarded at $5-$10 SnGs. You can sit back, play only premium hands, and watch half of the field bust each other out. So if you are willing to play this kind of poker to build your roll you should be able to. Also, I have seen it posted that you should have around 15 buy-ins to assure not busting out your bank roll; just something to keep in mind.