Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 03-06-2004, 02:40 PM

Default very unsuccessful at 10$ level, help?

after over 30 games at the 10$ level, im at best even. probably down 1 or 2 buyins, i dont feel like going through my logs at this moment.

it seems i keep getting pushed off my chips early, so im probably doing something wrong. i will post some examples.

blinds 10/20
QQ UTG.
I raised it 100. 5 call.
flop Jc 7d 2d
pot is around 600. everyone has 1400 in chips.
i bet 400. 2 call.
turn As
one of the blinds fires 1000 allin. i fold.

all streets standard play, or where do i need to adjust?

another 10/20
dealt AKc in EP. i raise to 100. 2 call.
flop 8c 5c 5d. i fire out 200. 1 call.
turn Kd. i bet 500. call.
river blank. i push, he calls. 88 fullhouse.

over aggressive here?

blinds 25/50 dealt KK. i just made a steal attempt the hand before, with J9s. the blind called me, and the flop was jack high, so i played aggressive and he called me down with an unimpoved AQo.

I raise 100 to 150 (just as i did the previous hand)
the blind miniraises another 100. i raise another 500. he calls.
flop Q 9 4r
i push he calls.
shows KJo
turn T. no help on the river.

probably just unlucky that time?

blinds 15/30
dealt 44 in LP
2 call before me i limp. sb calls. bb checks.

flop Jd 9d 4c
checks to me, i bet 3/4 of the pot. 2 call.
turn As
BB minibets 30, i raise the pot. he calls other guy folds.
river 7. he minibets again, i raise he reraise i call.
77 for a bigger set.

last example for now.
5 handed blinds 25/50
im dealt ATs in MP. folds to me, i raise to 150.
CO calls. everyone else folds.
flop Ac Tc 9d
i bet the pot, thinking i got called by a bigger ace and want to get paid off for catching my 2 pair. he calls.
turn 7d
i fire another pot sized bet. he calls.
river 8d
i bet again, he raises me what i have left (not much) and i call. he turns T6d straight flush.

from my estimation it seems as though im running into bad luck, but maybe im putting myself into situations i shouldnt be in which wouldnt give bad luck a chance. am i being over aggressive and they think im bluffing so im getting called down by rags? i know 34 matches is a small sample but hands like these mixed with lost coinflip and 3 to 1s will make your headspin and if theres something i can fix id be glad to take any advice. thanks for reading
Old 03-06-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: very unsuccessful at 10$ level, help?

Sounds to me like you are running into a bit of bad luck there, but that's just poker sometimes.

It seems to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you're playing the early stages of the tournament very aggressively. Definitely raise hands like QQ, KK, and AK (as you did), but don't try anything fancy. 25/50 is definitely not the time to start trying steals with J9s. On the $10 level, you'll get called 90%+ of the time. The cards are coming cheaply, so be selective while you can. The WSOP-folk (you know, the people that watch WSOP final table and think that's how you win tournaments from the very beginning) will bust themselves out.

Personally, I get very nervous if I stick out a large raise and get cold-called, even with a good hand. After preflop and flop raises with your big slick suited, I would have stopped and strongly considered that other 5 or a set of 8s when you were cold-called. Don't be too eager to push when someone's calling you all the way here. His calls are screaming "I can beat top-pair!"

Also, don't be mechanical with NL play like you can be with limit. Think "outside of the box," as corny and unhelpful as that may sound. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2004, 03:17 PM

so your advice is, dont get fancy and dont be mechanical :P

yeah the AK might have been overplayed, but as you seen in a different post, over cards will often call big bets (A hits on turn player pushes) I caught my king so it woulda been hard to lay down to a bet, he could have KQ, AK, QJ, A8, Q8, 98, pocket 77,88,99,TT,JJ,QQ

the 25/50 "steal" table was kinda tight, and alot of times 5 handed ive found that if i play tight until 4 handed (which was my strategy in the 5$ games) i would be so short stacked i'd either finish 4th, or 3rd every times. the 4-5 handed level seems to last 3x long at 10$ as it did at 5$.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:34 PM

Hiya jay,

A couple of general points.

First, always, ALWAYS know what the nut hand is. If you have top two pair, but there are three of a suit out there, respect the possibility of the flush. If there are three connected cards -- e.g.: J-T-7 -- respect the possibility of the straight. If the board is paired, respect the possibility of a set or a boat. And so on.

I'm not saying you should play scared. You can't fear the nut hand every hand or you'll almost never bet. But when you see the possibility of a monster out there, respect the possibility. Would your opponent have played the hand as he did if he had the cards that would make the monster? How can you get him to define his hand? Will a feeler bet elicit a monster raise? Does he bluff-raise often? These are the kinds of questions you have to ask yourself whenever you're in a pot with a good-but-not-nut hand.

Second, don't be afraid to lay down the "best" hand. I put "best" in scare-quotes because often it seems like it's the best, but there's a better hand hiding in the bushes out there. If you have only top pair, or an overpair, and you bet and get a monster reraise ... think about what hands could be out there, whether your opponent would have played them this way, etc.

Yes, sometimes you'll be folding the best hand. Oh well. The chips you save on second-best hands will probably more than cover the chips you lose on folded best hands.

I hope this helps.

Cris
Old 03-06-2004, 04:20 PM

would a good example of this be this hand.
5 players blinds 50/100

SB raises me to 300. i call with QTo
flop comes 2 8 T
he pushes allin 1100, i call.

he shows 56.

turn 5. river 5.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:18 PM

Hi jay,

No, that was just a ridiculous push that caught lucky.

Cris
Old 03-06-2004, 05:19 PM

eiter im the worst bubble player in the world, or the unluckiest. and either way i pulled out a huge chunk of hair over the frustration. im venting in my own post to not bother anyone with a new one.

im chip leader barely. KJd on the button. i raise to 450 3XBB. says if i move in will you call. i said i dont know. he moves in. i think and call. he shows Q5o spikes a Q.

not so bad. it happens i sitll have chips.

very next hand i have KK, blinds now 100/200 i raise to 600. next player miniraises to 1000. i push he calls. shows JJ. spikes a J on the flop. im now in last.

KQs on my next button i push, called by A3o he hits his A, leaving my slim on outs, i miss im done.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

in the last 12 tournaments ive had 1 money finish and i guess im done for the day because i cant take the br swing. i suppose back to the 5$ game i go.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:13 PM

That last hand u posted about the straight flush when you had A 10 is like deja vu for me. In this weeks super monday at party, I lost when I had A 10 on this board A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I went all in preflop and he called with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. My flopped boat was sunk by his rivered straight flush. I know this adds nothing to the thread, just thought i'd share.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:06 PM

You can't draw any reasonable conclusions from only 30 SnG's in terms of defining your long term results. I'm a healthy winner over many hundreds of SnG's and I've had losing streaks of almost 20...it happens.

The nature of the low buy in SnG's will lead to a fair amount of variance, just ride it out, post hands that perplex you and you'll be fine.