Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 03-05-2004, 08:08 AM

Default Key hand in 500FPP

Yesterday's 500FPP sat to Sun 215. I did qualify, just by the skin of my teeth. 9 qual, i squeaked to 9th. This was probably the key hand in the entire tournament for me.

I still don't know if the bet/re-raise on the turn was the smartest play all week, or the stupid-luckiest play all week. Maybe just one of those instinct things that this is the time, do it.

He could have had AA, Aces up, another 2p, AAA, or the nut flush. If I had read him as having what he had, I really don't know if I would have made the same play. I had 10 outs to make the boat or quad.

Comments please.

*********** # 55 **************
PokerStars Game #317540175: Tournament #1074532, Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2004/03/04 - 15:06:36 (ET)
Table '1074532 19' Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: Hallelujah (6605 in chips)
Seat 2: ravipratap (2730 in chips)
Seat 3: ScotlandStu (1280 in chips)
Seat 4: catriona (4980 in chips)
Seat 5: SlyGrin (2290 in chips)
Seat 6: DrPhysic (3290 in chips)
Seat 7: raider50 (5635 in chips)
Seat 9: pecheurs (930 in chips) is sitting out
Hallelujah: posts small blind 50
ravipratap: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to DrPhysic [2d 2h]
ScotlandStu: folds
catriona: folds
SlyGrin: folds
DrPhysic: calls 100
raider50: calls 100
pecheurs: folds
Hallelujah: folds
ravipratap: checks
*** FLOP *** [6c 2c Ac]
DrPhysic: bets 100
raider50: folds
ravipratap: calls 100
*** TURN *** [6c 2c Ac] [7d]
DrPhysic: bets 300
ravipratap: raises 600 to 900
DrPhysic: raises 600 to 1500
ravipratap: calls 600
*** RIVER *** [6c 2c Ac 7d] [2s]
DrPhysic: bets 1590 and is all-in
ravipratap: calls 1030 and is all-in
*** SHOW DOWN ***
DrPhysic: shows [2d 2h] (four of a kind, Deuces)
ravipratap: shows [3c 9c] (a flush, Ace high)
DrPhysic collected 5610 from pot
Johnny_Felix is connected
Razzle11 is connected
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 5610 | Rake 0
Board [6c 2c Ac 7d 2s]
Seat 1: Hallelujah (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: ravipratap (big blind) showed [3c 9c] and lost with a flush, Ace high
Seat 3: ScotlandStu folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: catriona folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: SlyGrin folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: DrPhysic showed [2d 2h] and won (5610) with four of a kind, Deuces
Seat 7: raider50 folded on the Flop
Seat 9: pecheurs (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

????????????????????

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2004, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Key hand in 500FPP

lucky
Old 03-05-2004, 10:24 AM

i knew that. the question was if you were any kind of poker player, do you make the re-raise on the turn with trip 2s? i take it your answer is no.

Stoneii thought yes, i still think its close enough that i don't know really what the "correct" play is.

Doc
Old 03-05-2004, 10:42 AM

I'da bet more on the flop, to prevent one card flush draws from getting anything close to correct odds to call. Other than that, you gotta go for it here. People like to get fancy with their draws, so you can't put him on a made flush 100% of the time, and it's hard to lay down a set. Hey you won, right?

al
Old 03-05-2004, 01:54 PM

Al,
Yeah, i won. That could still make it stupid lucky.

I slow played the trip with a minraise on the flop, trying to get into a bigger pot. That much worked. So did he. He had the nut flush on the flop, and slowplayed his too.

When i bet 300 on the turn, i was doing exactly what you suggest, trying to shut it out. Maybe not big enough, but i did intend it that way.

When he raised 600, i have about 1/2 second to think about it. I don't want to show weakness by sitting there thinking about it. The flash thoughts in the half second were fold? maybe he has a bigger trip or the flush? no. I didn't read it that way. Call? to what advantage? It felt like a hard semibluff with either aces up or 4 to the straight. If I'm wrong i still have 10 outs (prob only 8 because he will have 2 of those cards) Hit the raise button, stop worrying about it.

To me the critical point in the hand was after his raise on the turn. Velly Interrresting!!! I thought i did it right. But if you read him for any trip, or the flush, it was a silly bet.

You see why i still wonder what the "proper" action was. Fold, Call, Raise, Push are all the choices you get, and i can construct a legitimate line of argument for any of them except maybe call.

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2004, 02:06 PM

Yes I had said to Doc that in the same situation I'd make the reraise, simply because without damning evidence to the contrary (like he bets his stack after the flop!), then I assume that it is much less likely he's flopped the flush, rather a 4 carder to it (surprisingly enough wrong in this case [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]).

Therefore, with trips I always like to give myself a shout at taking it down without giving him odds to draw the flush. As Doc says, in worse case, you still have 10 outs if they have it so are not completely dead in the water.

It's awfully hard not to push on trips since that's what you're looking for preflop (admittedly not with 3 same suited cards) and it is soooooo hard to lay 'em down unless you have a tremendous read on an online opponent!!!!

However, in reverse I'd be in here on a flash claiming yet another bad beat!!!!!

Not sure there's too many make a final table without sucking out once on the opposition [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just do so in the big game Sunday now!!
Old 03-05-2004, 03:18 PM

Hey Doc,

Tough hand. I'll tell you how I'd play it. It is different then your way, so I think it's good for the discussion.

PF: I don't really like open-limping with 22. I rather muck it or open-raise, trying to take it there. Unless it's intended to show other opponents I'm able to open-limp sometimes, so I might do it with monsters later and trap someone.

Flop: if it's checked to me, I make a nice big bet, maybe even over-betting the pot significantly. I want to push out any 4 to a flush, or make them do a mistake by calling. There's no reason, IMO, to slowplay trips here, since they are very vulnerable with this board.

Turn: that's a tough spot. My play here will depends very much on my read of him. If he called my big flop bet, and he's not a loose caller, I might have a real fear of a made-flush, and slow my play. Otherwise, I might push here and take my chances.

River: You hit your quads. If he checks to you I think it's better to bet less than what you did, since you very very much want him to call or raise, with his made flush or trips. But considering the bets on the turn, pushing here is probably fine, if you're sure he'll call it.

BTW, his hand isn't the nut-flush, very far from it, actually. That's another reason why his play was pretty bad, IMO. In his place I'd play it much more aggressively, to drive out any higher flush-draws, and to make trips (like yours) pay me right away.

Only my 2 cents,

PrayingMantis

Old 03-05-2004, 04:09 PM

Hi PM,

Thoughts:
With small pairs i generally limp. 1. you don't catch the trip that often and therefore i want to see the flop cheap, and 2. about 50% of the time i will limp with kk or aa and the small pair limp tends to hide it. (once the pairs get up around 77 i play it your way)

If i put in a 4bb bet on the flop, i will either win the 350 thats in the pot, or find out i'm up against a monster. nothing wrong with doing it that way.

If he bets big on the flop, i will lay down the deuces in a second. A 500 bet would have won him the hand right there. He foxed himself right out of a hand.

The rest of what you say i entirely agree with.

Doc