Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2002, 06:17 AM

Default My name is a Tommy. I am a cigarette addict.

And simple as that, I quit. Once it was taught to me, in a way that sunk and stuck, that it's only natural to have cravings you idiot, you're an addict, and that's what addicts do, they have cravings. You're not weak. You're not even defective. Your an addict.

As simple as that, I quit. After it finally took hold in my proud skull that I can't beat cigarettes. That's not an option. No matter what I do from here out, it doesn't matter if I never smoke again or if I start back up tomorrow, I will always, no matter what, and it's completely beyond my control, like my eye color, it's not like I have an option in the matter, and this is the most freeing sensation, to simply know that I will always be a cigarette addict.

And simple as that, I quit. Two months now. My god I've been tested, in all the ways that I failed before, in the 20 or so times that I've

"tried" to quit. I had no shot then, because I was trying to do something that was impossible. I was trying to become someone who is not a cigarette addict.

Now, here's the clincher. And you have to be an addict to realize how true it is. The most beautiful revelation. Again, taught to me, recently. There are two ways to make a cigarette craving go away. One way is to smoke. The other way is to not smoke. Either way, in moments, the craving passes.

As planets go, it's a good one, Earth is.

Tommy

Old 02-10-2002, 09:57 AM

Default bad habits

smoking is compulsive

gambling is compulsive

to some, even sex is compulsive

not sure about posting on forums????

anyway, do you plan to abandon any other compulsion since you have now done one???
Old 02-10-2002, 10:09 AM

Default Re: My name is a Tommy. I am a cigarette addict.

keep it up(quitting)..when i quit 2 pack+/day habit, i put an open pack of cigarets on the dresser, and every morning said "i am tuffer than you, i've cracked every cold deck that's ever been dealt", and just said no matter what, i won't have a cigaret that day. cravings not there after about 5 years..gl
Old 02-10-2002, 11:21 AM

First time I tried to quit was 68. After many tries I'm half way into my 3rd yr clean.

Your attitude seems good.

The cravings do pass.

Good Luck.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:10 PM

Tommy - I sense a little philosophical attitude in that post that I found a bit refreshing. You should read some Spinoza or Epicurus. Of couse, do not let that detract from poker or the addiction that you have finially accepted.

The earth is a good planet? You are becoming Panglossian.

Zeno

Old 02-10-2002, 02:34 PM

Good work. I quit a little over 7 years ago. I never understood how people said it was a dirty, filthy habit. What are they talking about? I enjoyed every cigarette I ever smoked, from the first to the last. A soft-pack Marlboro Red is one of the best things ever. If I were diagnosed with a terminal disease a carton of Marlboros is the first thing I would get leaving the doctor's office.

The cravings really do subside. Once in a while I will see someone smoking and want one. But it's pretty rare now and much easier to resist.

When it comes to quitting cigarettes, anything that works for you is right. I'm glad I quit and hope you are successful too.
Old 02-10-2002, 02:37 PM

Congratulations. As an intelligent person, don't you feel silly for not doing this before? I know I did. I've been free for three years now.

As far as being an addict for life, I'm not so sure. I sometimes have a smoke on New Year's Eve or on other 'special occasions' and do not feel the urge to start up again.

But I only smoked 2 1/2 packs a day for over 25 years.
Old 02-10-2002, 07:44 PM

yeah marlboro country, can here the tunes, kinda ironic the marlboro man died of lung cancer and became an anti-smoking spokesman...but, i was glad my clothes did not stink..no burn holes..much less frequent cols, i think it's a stupid habit...gl counselor...
Old 02-10-2002, 09:17 PM

Default Amazing

After many attempts during the 30 yrs I smoked, I know better than to have just one. I'm envious. One Camel straight now and I'm hooked again.
Old 02-10-2002, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Amazing

i ain't gonna find out...gl