Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 02-09-2004, 09:29 PM

Default Clearing Stars Bonus with SnG\'s + other considerations

A couple things:

Since the 5 + .5 SnG's pay three FPP's you can earn more of them for every dollar you put at risk:

200 x $5+.5 = 1100 spent and you get 600 FPP's
120 x $10 + 1 = 1320 to get 600 FPP's

Of course it takes significantly longer to play 200 SnG's, but if reducing your risk is your goal this is a way to go. Also, conceivably the $5 tourneys will be more beatable than the $10 ones, though I'm guessing the difference is not too great.

2nd Thing: as compared to Party, Stars SnG's require more skill to win: you get more chips and the blinds go up more slowly. This should be viewed as a good thing. One downside, however, which mitigates the value of this is that the Stars SnG's often last much longer than those on Party--rarely does a Party SnG last more than an hour. Stars SnG's, especially ones other than NLHE, can last 90 minutes or more, especially if the opposition is decent. This is enough of a downside for me that I generally play on Party because I can play almost twice as many. However, when there is a bonus at Stars, which in effect makes it so you are paying no vig on your tourneys, that's enough to tip the balance to playing at Stars. This is a great bonus for SnG players. If only UB allowed SnG's for bonus clearance (you get UB points for playing, but they don't work off the bonus $$$)
Old 02-09-2004, 09:43 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob
Default Re: Clearing Stars Bonus with SnG\'s + other considerations

Don't you ever play ring games? It takes 2/3 days playing 3 tables (4/5 hours a day) to clear the max.bonus.

It will take forever to clear if you only play 5$ SNG and I am not even mentionning that it can't be very good to only play SNGs. You are not doing yourself a favor if you never play ring games.
It is easy to find ring games at very low stakes if you feel your game is shaky. Just start low and work your way up. You won't regret it.

Take care,
William
Old 02-09-2004, 11:52 PM

Um, William,

I play poker for a living, much of it in SnG form. I was giving useful info out for players who might want to clear the bonus this way. Obviously you can do it via ring games as well. Some players prefer SnG's and this bonus is an excellent deal for them: essentially no vig on SnG's.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:19 AM

Not what you mentioned I now, but I'm wondering if you have an opinion on the max ROI between limit and NL hold em Sngs (what those might be, that is)?
Old 02-10-2004, 07:12 AM

since this is the 'SNG forum' it seems appropriate to post info such as that here.
fwiw, i actually bothered to figure this out and posted the info last year in the internet-forum, i think around july.

telling this forum that they should play ring-games is not unlike going onto the SS-forum and telling everyone they should play SNG's.
everyone has their preference.
i play a bit of both.

"Not what you mentioned I now, but I'm wondering if you have an opinion on the max ROI between limit and NL hold em Sngs (what those might be, that is)? "

this question should be started as a sepeerate thread imo.
and i think there are already was a thread on limit-HE SNG's recently.....but i didnt bother to look at it since the only time i play those is by accident.