Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2004, 10:07 AM

Default On the bubble with A8s

Hi all.

It's a 20$+2$ SNG, we're four players on the bubble, 3 see the money. Rough chip counts: 4000, 3600, 3100, 2800. I'm 4th. Blinds 100/200.

Introduction: the player at my left (T3600) is pretty loose-aggressive. Last four orbits, when I was SB and he BB (and two others folded), I raised to 800 and he folded, probably had completely zilch. I know he's getting really angry and nervous about my stealing, because I watched him play the whole game, and see how he tends to react. I'm wating to re-trap him when he goes over the top to punish me, and I'll have some real nice hand.

Now, I'm getting A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG. I raise to 800. Button (the guy I was talking about) pushes. Two others fold. I know I don't have a monster here, far from it, but I have a strong feeling he might be pushing here with a wide range of hands, to stop my stealing and because he thinks I'm raising now with complete trash. I think there's a big chance he's on Kx, QJ, TJ, or a lower ace. Of course he can have a pair, or higher Ax, but I think more often he won't.

So I call.

He shows: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and catches a J on the river.

I bust.

What do you think about this move? (and I didn't switch between us this time... I'm not "him". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

PrayingMantis
Old 02-06-2004, 01:31 PM

Default Re: On the bubble with A8s

I don't like this move. You don't want to take this hand against the range of hands he could have, because though you are likely a favorite, you are only a small favorite. On the bubble, you have to pass on such. However, once you raise 800 and he comes over, you have to call. Because of this, I think you should push if you think there is much chance he will come over the top of a smaller bet with a weaker hand. With this much play left, I might even fold this sometimes.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. My question is: if you "have" to call a re-raise all-in in a situation like this (and that's why you suggest pushing to begin with), is there any point at all in raising 3-5 x BB at this stage of the game?

I would think there should be a middle way, raising to show strength, without putting all you have in the middle, and with an option to fold to a re-raise by a tight player, for example. BB here still represents "only" ~7% of my stack.

P.S.

I like your new location.

PrayingMantis
Old 02-06-2004, 02:12 PM

Hiya P.M.,

I'd probably have raised to 600 (3xBB) on this, because in a four-way game A9s is a good raising hand (and the 3xBB is simply my personal preference).

However, you're UTG, and a reraise to an UTG raise would worry me. Your read was on, that he was reraising with a weaker hand, but it wasn't that much a weaker hand (you're only a 3:2 favorite vs. KJ and similar hands, according to twodomes). And you could well be dominated by a higher Ace. Even if you're ahead, it's too narrow an edge to call all-in on the bubble.

I'd have mucked to the reraise.

And no, I don't think you were in all-in-or-fold territory on this hand. Folding here still leaves you with 10xBB, and while you're on the BB next hand, you can still play a bit before you're too desperate.

Cris
Old 02-06-2004, 03:15 PM

I think that fold or all-in are the obvious options.

One other thing that works sometimes if you have been ultra aggressive:

think for a while, then limp.

people thinking you have a monster and are looking to limp-reraise. They will often check in front of you on the flop as well if you hook em with this one.

Works much better heads up where people are really paying attention.

Obviously you can only do this very occaisonally.

tim
Old 02-06-2004, 04:27 PM

hiya perkin. Didn't i play you last night in a party 10+1 SNG?

LAG player i made you fold on the bubble with that RENERUCHE player giving you a hard time about it.

This is very similar to that situation last night.

Anyway, i think that this is a pretty clear fold, on the bubble with chips left to play. Also, you have a read on this guy in that he folded to your last 3 steals, however, now you are raising UTG. This shows more strength than a steal for sure and yet he reraises you. Any player that will let you steal indiscriminantly but then put you allin when you are utg is something to be feared. If you are confident that both his cards are above your 8, then i would fold.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:30 AM

Yep thats right I did play you. I saw your name here and thought...hmmm maybe thats him but you spell it a bit different to figured it was someone else.
I can't remember how I did in that one...?

Anyway get out of my 10+1 SnGs there aint enough dead money for the two of us.... yeah right! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

tim