Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 02-03-2004, 03:31 PM

Default What To Do?

SnG at Party. Down to 4 of us. I'm down to just a BB or two. One fellow, the SB puts him all in. So if i sit and coast, I'm in the money. I pick up pocket 8's and raise get chip leader to fold, 2nd place calls.

Flop comes QQ7, I bet, and get raised. Now from previous play, my read is this guy is trying to push me out of the hand. I can fold, and assuming the SB has no hand, I get at least 3rd place money, but will be seriously low of chips. If my read is right, I go into the 3-way action with more ammo...if I'm wrong out in 4th, and no money.

So what would you do? Well, I folded. It turned out my read was right, he had J7o, and got no help, SB had no hand. So I'm in the money, but at a serious disadvantage to the other two...but I did end up putting J7o Guy out and finished 2nd!

So take the sure money, or gamble?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:04 PM

Default Re: What To Do?

I would have played it. I see 3 scenarios here.

1) You fold and the SB loses and you are in the money but at a serious disadvantage (this is what happened)

2) You fold and the SB wins, and suddenly you are the short-stack and likely out in 4th.

3) You put yourself all-in and the SB wins and you are out 4th.

4) You put yourself all-in and both you and the SB lose. You get 3rd place money since he was in before you.

5) You put yourself all-in and win, bringing yourself in the money for sure, and as the chip leader or 2nd stack.

Because of the range of hands that the SB could be on and your own hands strength (you are only beaten by a Q, or 77), I would play it all the way.

Old 02-03-2004, 04:14 PM

I am confused. If you have only a BB or two, then your call pre-flop is one BB, and your bet on the flop is two BB. Shouldn't you be all-in at this point? I think there is something missing in your original post.
Anyway, if I am that short stacked, on the bubble, with a 50/50 shot of making the money by sitting out, I would dump 88 100% of the time.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:31 PM

Your're right, my info is a bit incomplete, posting from memory. I only had about a BB or so when it was decision time on folding my 8's.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4) You put yourself all-in and both you and the SB lose. You get 3rd place money since he was in before you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm new to the SnG format. If I had known I would get 3rd place money, since he was in before me, I would have played.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had known I would get 3rd place money, since he was in before me, I would have played.

[/ QUOTE ]

If more than one person is knocked out in a hand, the person who started the hand with fewer chips finishes last. That's probably what was meant by "he was in before you", but I'm not familiar with that expression so I wanted to make sure everything was clear before you make any decisions.

Martin
Old 02-03-2004, 04:48 PM

just a thought,
my undertanding of multiple players going all in, the higher the chip count the better place you are if you get knocked out.
so SB would have finished 4th, you 3rd.
I undertand the concern though if you get knocked out and the SB doesn't
Old 02-03-2004, 04:48 PM

I'm with JDO on this one. In this situation, I get out of the way and hope the short stack busts out. 88 is not that great a hand.

If I can open raise with it, then yeah I'm shoving in.

In this spot, muckity muck and "GOOOOOO Big stack!"
Old 02-03-2004, 05:16 PM

Ahhh, There I go typing before considering all of the angles. So, in-effect: If he calls, he becomes a 2/3 favorite (actually probably higher since he probably has the best hand pre-flop) to take 3rd and if he folds, he is 50/50.
I think I have changed my mind to calling.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Thanks