Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2004, 08:45 PM

Default Another set story

Hi all,

I had 3 interesting hands at the same SNG. I'm not really sure if and how to post all of them, so I'm just going to post 1st hand first, and see how it developes.

OK. It's a 10+1 2 tables, I'm 1st stack with T3310 after busting some caller with my obvious set of kings. Blinds are 25/50, 7 players at my table.

Now I'm on the button with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. All fold to CO, T1200, who I've seen calling too much, which is not untypical of the whole table, and also slow-playing, not very smartly IMO, a set.

He raises to 200. I don't see this as a steal-raise with garbage, I think he has AQ-AT, KQ, something along these lines. I don't know exactly why, but I don't think he has a big pair. I decide to call and see what comes. I have more than enough chips.

Flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He bets 50. I don't think he slowplays a set here. I raise to 300 (?). He thinks for a while and calls.

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hmmmmmm. Why not my other out? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. Before I make my decision regarding how good or bad the turn is, he pushes for T710.

Your move?

PrayingMantis
Old 01-28-2004, 08:55 PM

Default yet another dumb post

Of course I am kidding Mantis.

I think you have to put him on some high suited cards. He may have the diamonds, or it could be a differant suit, I think your decision would be based more of the player then anything. From what you said, he calls a lot would lead me to think he likes high cards, suited card, and probably high connected cards.

I think he has the flush, time to walk away
Old 01-28-2004, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Another set story

Call.

If he has flush, so be it. A strange bet for a flush draw on the flop.

Ken Poklitar
Old 01-28-2004, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A strange bet for a flush draw on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so strange. I often see a draw make a small bet like this in an attempt to get a cheap turn card.

However, I would call for a different reason. If the gentleman likes to slow play strong hands, I doubt he would bet into you with a made flush, especially after you raised the flop. I would put him on a semi bluff with the Ad. I have also seen small bets with just overcards for the same reason as above.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:16 PM

if he has suited overcards something like AQs, he could be checking where he is at with the flop bet. I don't see why it is a strange bet, I think a lot of people bet their four flush's, also take into consideration that if he has over cards, he may think he will take the pot right there with his bet.
I think the fact he called Mantis' raise on the flop would lead me to believe he was on a flush draw.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However, I would call for a different reason. If the gentleman likes to slow play strong hands, I doubt he would bet into you with a made flush, especially after you raised the flop. I would put him on a semi bluff with the Ad. I have also seen small bets with just overcards for the same reason as above.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good point, but there is also enough in the pot for him to possibly want to take it right there
Old 01-29-2004, 12:26 AM

The pot is 475 after pre-flop action. Betting 50 into 475 does seem strange to me. I can't imagine any scenario where I would bet 50 into a 475 pot after I raised PF.

How many hands that you call 200 cold will you fold for 50? Sure there may be a few but not many.

An overpair with 1 of the suit is quite possible as is something like AK with 1 of the suit.

Ken Poklitar
Old 01-29-2004, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine any scenario where I would bet 50 into a 475 pot after I raised PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right of course, and I wouldn't do this either, but it is increasingly common among the lower stakes players to make a tiny bet from up front on the flop when drawing. They hope that you will forget to raise them so they get a cheap turn card. It's one of the biggest online tells - for some players. Who knows if this player is one of them?

Guy.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:11 AM

You're ahead here often enough to call with 10 outs to improve *if* you're behind.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Results, and another round with this guy

I couldn't see why he pushes now if he has the (probably nut) flush, plus I had my own outs if I'm behind... so I called.

He shows A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I don't improve and I'm down to T2100. Still, above avarage.
I think I made the right call, as most of you agree too. And as the game goes on, this guy looks more and more like quite a strange player, so (in retrospect) I don't think he tried to "double-bluff" me with his flush (is there a term for this kind of a bet, when you want your opponent to think you're bluffing when you have the nuts?). I think he simply hit his diamond, so he pushed in (it's in contrast with a SP he did earlier, but that's poker).

Now, see if you can work through another one... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2nd hand from the same SNG. Starring: The same player!

We're down to 7 at the table, (13 overall), blinds 50/100. I'm 3rd here with T2050, holding A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the SB.

UTG folds, UTG+1 (T3020, loose calling station) limps, folded to button (T1620, our friend from the previous hand, who keeps losing and winning big, with some crazy moves) who limps. I raise to 400. BB (desperate, T270 after posting) calls and he's all-in. UTG+1 folds, our friend the Button calls.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

ugh.

Now, what's your move? And more important - what will you try to achieve here?

PrayingMantis