Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2004, 09:03 AM

Default TT Decision

Party $20 + 2 2-table SNG. Tables have just merged a few hands back, 9 left. Blinds are 50/100 I,m in the middle of the pack with 2700. I'm in the CO with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Folded to person on my right who raises all-in to 985. He's been very chatty and acting frustrated about getting no cards, but due to his inaction I really have no specific read. I contemplate reraising all-in to isolate, but decide to just call.

Button and SB fold, BB (has me covered) raises to 1870 (the minimum). Back to me with 3790 in the pot.

What's your play? Results later.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:45 AM

Default Re: TT Decision

I think this is a fold, unless you have a specific read on the BB that tells you he's playing with an underpair or overcards. You are getting 4-to-1 on your money, but with a big stack reraising two all-in bets, I'm thinking he's got you beat.

If I were you (meaning that if I played as well as you, Kurn) I'd probably try to find a better spot than this one to put my tourney on the line. You can still do a lot of damage with T1700.

CCC
Old 01-27-2004, 11:22 AM

Hiya Kurn,

The difficult part here is, as you say, the absence of reads. My guess is that both are on Ace-Face, which makes your TT a stronger hand as they hold each other's outs. But if either has an overpair, not even the 4:1 pot odds makes it worth a call. Given the absence of reads, the situation (9 left), and the fact that you'd be risking it all right here, I think I'd have to fold. Reluctantly.

Cris
Old 01-27-2004, 11:35 AM

I'm not too familiar with the SNG's on party (actually it's first time I read there are 2 tables there too. I thought Stars is the only place for these ones), but if it was on Stars I'm definitely folding. This is still pretty early (regarding the blinds), and it looks like you're at best in a coin flip situation against BB. I will even suspect he has AA or KK here, due to his "mini-raise". It looks like he's inviting you to re-raise all-in. And another point: you didn't isolate to begin with, because you weren't too sure about your hand, and wanted the option to fold, if someone behind you goes over the top. I think that if you are not going to fold to the big-stack re-raise from behind, I don't see the point in not going in immidiately after the small-stack.

Moreover, I'll suspect the original all-in raiser has some good hand too: I tend to read players who complain about getting bad cards as over-tight (that's my expirience: they want you to feel they are not so tight, it's just that they're getting 37o all the time), so I won't be surprised if the first all-in raiser has AK-AJ, or high pair. But I think I'm calling the first raise too, like you did (and not isolating).

In short: I'm sure you'll be a real headache for the remaining 7, even with your remaining T1700 (I've seen your small-stack play [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]).

Only my 2 chips, but at least that's how I'd play it,

PrayingMantis
Old 01-27-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Duh

Did I actually say "Party". (I did, I checked my post) I mean 'Stars. Brain cramp. Shoot me. Please. This 53 mile commute is frying my brain. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2004, 11:51 AM

Default RESULTs (and this was on \'Stars, not Party)

After a bit of thought I decided that either the BB had an overpair or I was against 3 overcards, so I folded.

Original raiser turns over A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB shows Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Flop does not bring an A, turn is a Q and BB takes down the pot.

1700 was enough to let me keep playing and I ended up 2nd after overplaying A8o when at about equal stacks heads-up. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2004, 11:53 AM

Default Re: RESULTs (and this was on \'Stars, not Party)

Can I pry and ask how you overplayed A8o heads-up? It's a pretty strong hand heads-up...
Old 01-27-2004, 11:55 AM

Why would you call off 1/3 of your stack? You should either muck or raise all-in. Calling this much is not right. I would have initially mucked.

I likely raise all-in after the re-raise. Optionally you could do the call and then bet any flop plan. I don't like folding based on the size of the pot. Sure an overpair you are in trouble but even with 3 overcards you are likely getting pot odds.

Ken Poklitar
Old 01-27-2004, 12:06 PM

Default Re: RESULTs (and this was on \'Stars, not Party)

He raise preflop, I reraised, he called. The flop came J-7-5 2-tone. he bet half the pot, I raised all-in. He had flopped 2-pair. Bye-bye.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:10 PM

I don't disagree, Ken. I think that part of my decision was closer than the fold decision afterwards. I just use 40% as my cutoff point for making the all-in automatic.