Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2004, 11:48 PM

Default waiting for the nuts

I've seen people on Pokerstars who sit on 4 or 5 tables at once and just wait for kings or aces and when they get them, they go all in,and usually find a caller (against 8 opponents, there always seems to be one fish who'll call. They always seem to prosper like this. Does anyone here see any flaw in this?
Old 01-26-2004, 11:55 PM

Default Re: waiting for the nuts

sure, they're not playing optimally. but when the SNG is nowhere near the money, the rote strategy is to play very tight and not try to bluff the unbluffable. the expert's edge is much better after a few players have been eliminated, so he avoids making dangerous plays before then.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Re: waiting for the nuts

Since AA or KK comes every 111 hands on average, most of the time you would be blinded out of chips before you got a hand.

This strategy is very similar to the "fold every hand" strategy, hoping enough people get eliminated early so that you can place in the money. It happened to me once when I got disconnected, managed to squeak into 3rd.