Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2003, 09:06 PM

Default Question for BruceZ

'We can't go to the Red Light area of Amsterdam again for weed tonight after getting mugged there last night on our first night.'

After just hearing a friend say that. Do you automatically ratio the probility of getting weed compared to the probability of getting robbed again. Then work out how much the weed means to you in terms of getting robbed?

Do you also wonder about your sample due to it being your first day? Then add other factors into such as, local knowledge, other people's experiences, police requirements on crime rate. Do you then discount some of the magnitude of the other people's experience as compared to your own because you are more likely than the general average public to run into trouble because of that green hair style. Then discount a seperate amount, which then divides into 2 amounts for 1. The percentage of the police force who are stoned right now 2. the percentage of the police force who are bent, then factor in how much these two affect them stopping crime/

... before you say, 'ok.'

Or was it because i was just stoned?

Back on track, it's a somewhat serious question, i'm just wondering how much math runs through you when you are just doing day to day stuff. I'm noticing a hell of a lot of analysing skills are showing in the way piece together arguements and general situations.

Old 10-24-2003, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Question for BruceZ

I'm not BruceZ but, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is a good definition for insanity.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:13 AM

Back on track, it's a somewhat serious question, i'm just wondering how much math runs through you when you are just doing day to day stuff.

Constantly.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:19 AM

It might be - but 2+2 didn't write *that* book. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]