Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2003, 10:26 AM

Default Pot odds considerations if raised

As background, I am new to both 2+2 (this is my first post) and Hold'em (started playing about 6 weeks ago). I have read a few books on Hold'em (Sklansky's Hold'em Poker, Winning low limit hold'em by Lee Jones am busy reading Sklansky's Poker Theory). I probably have about 50 playing hours - hope this sets the scene of where I am at (i.e. beginner).

My question pertains to any betting round in a Hold'em low limit game, but particularly after the flop onward (10 players). The scenario is as follows:

* Pot odds justify a bet/call the first time action comes to you
* Player to your right raises (and you couldn't reasonably have anticipated this from the player's earlier playing style)
* The action gets back to you and you need to decide whether to call or fold (based on pot odds only)

Let me use an example to clarify:

* After the flop you have a gutshot straight draw
* Odds of making the straight on the turn is roughly 11:1
* There has been some pre-flop betting and the pot offers 12:1 the first time action gets to you, so you bet/call
* When the action returns to you in the same betting round (you have been raised) and the pot now offers for argument's sake 14:1. Is the correct way to approach the decision to say that the pot needs to offer at least 22:1 to justify the call (2 x 11:1 bets) or say the first bet is gone and another bet only needs pot odds of 11:1 again, so I call? (I specifically want to ignore the potential of the pot growing after the current betting round; I think its called reverse odds)

In short, is an earlier bet made in the same betting round relevant or not when considering whether you are getting the correct pot odds for a further bet?

Hope my question is clear enough and looking forward to your comments.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Pot odds considerations if raised

I think you mean to say the raise comes from the person on your left.

In any case, you do not consider the previous bet(s) you have put in when determining pot odds. Only look at the current bet(s) you have to call vs what is currently in the pot. So in your example, you still need 11-1 to call, but you are now getting 14-1. So you call.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:17 AM

Yes, I meant player on my left (I'm still new to all this jargon) - thanks for your input pudley4. I found the concept of ignoring previous bets in the same betting round a bit counter-intuitive, but suspected strongly that I was wrong.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:11 PM

Previous bets are gone and considered part of the pot.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:33 AM

The posts above are true, however, if you think that the pot is likey to be raised behind you, then you may want to fold to the initial bet, even if you have 11:1 odds.