Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Any 2+2ers Going to Negreanu\'s Toronto Party at the Hard Rock?

I entered into an online draw on fullcontactpoker and received an invite to this event:

You are invited to the Exclusive FullContactPoker.com & Daniel Negreanu Toronto Party where there will be food, fun, poker, prizes, give-aways and a very special announcement by Kid Poker himself.

The event is tonight at the Hard Rock in Toronto. Is anyone else attending? I will probably check it out. I work about 10 min away from the Hard Rock, and if anything, it's free food.

If I'm around to hear what the special announcement is, I'll post an update.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Any 2+2ers Going to Negreanu\'s Toronto Party at the Hard Rock?

Sounds like fun (and free food!). Definitly post a trip report when you get back.

In fact, if you see Daniel, tell him you are the official 2+2 correspondent and ask him if he would like to say a few words to the 2+2 masses (and ask him to come back and post here).
Old 12-06-2005, 12:35 PM

I am going... coming down from Ottawa, can't wait leaving in 1 hour.

I will be wearing my "To the felt hat"
Old 12-06-2005, 03:21 PM

I just noticed I got an invite to this as well. I don't think I'll be able to make it though.. Damn work........
Old 12-06-2005, 08:54 PM

Hi Atty:

I think the announcement will be that Full Contact Poker is now an Internet poker room.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 12-06-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Atty:

I think the announcement will be that Full Contact Poker is now an Internet poker room.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

there may be another announcement, because the FCP front page is completely redesigned now and there is a seperate FullContactPoker poker room along with the forum. It is a PokerRoom skin
Old 12-06-2005, 09:22 PM

I think Daniel is a moneymaking genius. I don't hold it against him at all however, he is an extremely positive influence in the poker community.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-07-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Atty:

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mason,

You're right, FCP will be an online poker room.

I actually made it to the final table and played with Danny, but I unfortunatly finished 5th. I had a good time though.

For Toronto Maple Leafs fans, Wendel Clarke and Doug Gilmour showed up to support Danny.

I'm drunk [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 11:15 AM

Trip Report:

I made my way over to the Hard Rock after work, and arrived at about 6:15. Since the invitation said that the doors would open at 6:00, I was quite surprised that there was a line that stretched around the building. Apparently, at “exclusive” events you have to wait outside in the cold for 25 minutes before getting in. Luckily, one of my co-workers and his friend, who both won tickets to the event (how many actually entered the contest?), were there to occupy my time while I froze my a.s.s off.

After we get in to the Hard Rock, we head upstairs, check-in, and receive a free FCP baseball hat (is that the give-away?), a drink ticket (this is a nice surprise), a raffle ticket, and a stunning orange wrist band. We are told that you have to wear the wrist band to play poker. Why do I have to wear a wrist band, when I am already inside the bar, and have had my invitation and ID checked by both the bouncers at the front door, and the check-in desk. Oh well, at least I will get to play some poker.

After getting in, we promptly make our way to the bar. My friend and I try to order a beer, but are told that the ticket is only good for a promotional drink. What a surprise. The drink is Rum, Amaretto, and Coke. My co-worker and I like anything that is free, so we take the drink. My co-worker’s friend doesn’t like rum, and asks if she can just have Amaretto and Coke. The bartender informs her that this is not possible. Apparently this is the only bar in Toronto that is unwilling to give out less alcohol than required!

After receiving our drinks we set up shop at a table and enjoy some hors d’oeuvres, which consisted of meatballs, nachos with salsa, crab cakes, etc. About 15 minutes later, someone steps up to the microphone and announces that they will be drawing tickets to determine who will be playing poker. There will be 7 tables of 7 with the winner of each table advancing to the final table to play with Kid Poker. So out of 250 invited guests, 49 will get the opportunity to play poker. Since they wanted you to stay in the bar, they said that they would draw one more ticket, after of the completion of the poker satellites, for a spot at the final table. Of course, neither I nor my friends were any of the lucky ones. And I wasn’t hanging around for three hours for the final draw. Apparently, I will not get to play poker tonight. Oh well, maybe I will get the opportunity to meet Daniel, and win a prize.

After the table draw, Mr. Kid Poker himself steps up to the microphone. Yes, FCP will be an online poker room. However, there will also be a contest (online tourneys I believe) to become Negreanu’s “protégé.” If you are lucky enough to win this contest, you will get the opportunity to travel with Daniel for 4 months, all expenses paid, and play in WPT events, attend exclusive parties, etc. Sounds like a good gig. But, since there were posters hanging all over the bar, it was a little anti-climatic. With that announcement, Daniel left the stage, and the poker commenced. As far as I know, he didn’t mingle or sign any autographs. I had one more beer and left.

So, let’s compare the invitation to the actual event:

You are invited to the Exclusive FullContactPoker.com & Daniel Negreanu Toronto Party: Exclusive means wait outside in the cold for 30 minutes.

Where there will be food: They did have some hors d’oeuvres

Fun: I’m sure a few people had fun.

Poker: For a select few.

Prizes: There were prizes?

Give-aways: A baseball hat.

And a very special announcement by Kid Poker himself.

On a scale from 1-10, I give this a 1. I feel sorry for anyone that had to travel a great distance to show up to this party.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:53 PM

Others on the FCP forums would rate it higher than a 1 judging by their enthusiasm.