Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 02:33 PM

Default I am a nOOB

Hello guys

This is my first post in this forum [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I know absolutely nothing of the stock market aside from what I learned in high school in a chessy marketing and economics class which was required to graduate.

I have been poking around diffrent site reading a little.

I was wondering if guru's could possible point me in the right direction of where I can begin my self education on the subject.

I have a small pile of cash (from poker winnings)I am willing to play with to learn.

The ideas on this piticular page I thought might be a good starting point to get my feet wet. msn money

I am 27 and have made some steps to prepair for my retirement.

I have worked for UPS for 10 years. I particapate in the stock oprtions, the 401K and in 15 more years I will have compeleted all requirements for my full pension.

I now would like to start investing some of my savings which is only collecting .05% intrest in a savings account.

I would like to start of small and build my bank roll as I have done in poker.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: I am a nOOB

I started at fool.com about 6 years ago. They have lots of good noobish info, like Investing Basics, 13 Steps to Investing Foolishly, How to Value Stocks, etc.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:16 PM

If you like the suggestions on the MSN money page you linked, it is a good way to start. Certainly better than sitting in an account making no interest.

Do a search for book lists in this forum and start reading everything.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:16 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060555...mmaculate-books
Old 12-02-2005, 01:48 AM

Some recommendations:

beginner: fool.com, a book for basics on how to read a balance sheet and breakdown and understand a financial statement, the book evan posted

after that: cbs.marketwatch.com and wsj.com, martin pring intro to technical analysis, and writings of WD GANN(except astrals).
Old 12-02-2005, 10:55 AM

Well dismorning I open an account on sharebuilder and deposted 1k just to get the ball rolling [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I also ordered the book Evan recomended.

FOOL.com is a book?

Also I was curious to know why Sharebuilder isnt a recomended online broker? The commisions are 4$ per trade.

They also have a 25$ sign on bonus (whoohoo still whoring)

I am just curious because I am still new to this
Old 12-02-2005, 11:22 AM

The Motley Fool is a website (www.fool.com) which has some investing books, as well as other articles related to investing (and other subjects too).

Sharebuilder has cheap commissions, but the trades are only made once a week. So if you see a stock that you think would be a really good buy right this second, sorry, wait until next tuesday (or whatever day it is). I guess if you plan to only buy and hold for long, long periods of time, it may not be that bad. There are also plenty of other brokers with low commissions.

I don't do any short-term trading myself, actually, I don't even have any money in stocks right now, as I'm a noob as well. I'm waiting until I've read a couple of the books that have been suggested on this forum. Until then, I'll stick with my "for noob investors" index funds.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:51 PM

For a slightly more technical intro to markets, including those other than stocks, Luenberger is a great resource.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sharebuilder has cheap commissions, but the trades are only made once a week. So if you see a stock that you think would be a really good buy right this second, sorry, wait until next tuesday (or whatever day it is).

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not Know if this something new they have added but:

[ QUOTE ]

For investors who would like to buy or sell stocks or ETFs right away, we are pleased to offer Real-time Trades – share-based orders that you can enter at any time and are executed during market hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do belive I can make trades and time I would like or at least I hope so, Not that I will be making short term trades any time soon.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do belive I can make trades and time I would like or at least I hope so, Not that I will be making short term trades any time soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should thoroughly review their complete pricing structure and fees list.