Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 10:35 PM

Default Investment Advice

I recently came into a large sum of money and I'm looking for investment advice.

I'll be looking to invest ~6.8MIL for myself intending to live off of the income while I attend college. I'm looking for low risk options that still offer a decent return. A friend suggested a bank bond that returns 4% after 15 months. Is that viable for this amount of money?

Also I'll be investing 5MIL for a friend. She works as a showgirl in vegas so she doesn't need any of the money for expenses and would like to return all gains back into her capital. Any advice is appreciated.

I have absolutely no experience investing any amount of money so please be gentle. Small words, like your talking to a baby.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Investment Advice

Rule #1 Do not talk about Fight Club
Rule #2 When you come into a large sum of money come onto twoplustwo to ask for advice about what to do

but anyways if your serious pm me and i'll tell you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently came into a large sum of money and I'm looking for investment advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you win the Nigerian lottery?

Seriously, with that amount of money and no experience, you shuold definately consider talking to a finacial advisor!
Old 11-29-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but anyways if your serious pm me and i'll tell you

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're not considering recommending he invest in penny stocks [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 10:58 PM

No the friend I mentioned won a lawsuit (doctor's misdiagnose led to her husbands death). Due to her previous drug addiction she's giving me half the money and full legal control over the rest to invest for her.

Like I said I don't have any idea how to invest that much I just want to get her a good return, and get myself a decent monthly income without having to spend hours each month working on it.

edit: spelling error.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:59 PM

nah no penny stocks.....speaking of that sniper I took a bad beat today cause I didn't raise big to protect my hand [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] had 20k STTK @ .81 sold 10k +.03 to lock in some profit then I was gonna sell the rest @ .87 jic it was gonna drop hard but then i got greedy and was gonna sell .89-.90 cause i was hearing big news well of course it tops right at my first target and they were holding orders big time and didn't get out til .79....lesson here ....your first instinct is usually the right one lol
Old 11-30-2005, 01:50 AM

Forget a "decent return." A terrible return will be MORE than enough to get you through college (2% quarterly interest will make you over $500K a year). Basic bank accounts that earn interest will suffice. The FDIC will only insure a limited amount per bank account (that I can't recall), so you would have to spread it around. You really need to seek professional advice.

[ QUOTE ]
I have absolutely no experience investing any amount of money so please be gentle. Small words, like your talking to a baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but if that's the case, why are you in charge of over 10 million?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:59 AM

Let's file this one under W for what the [censored]???

[ QUOTE ]

I'll be looking to invest ~6.8MIL

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm, that is quite a large sum of money.

[ QUOTE ]
intending to live off of the income while I attend college

[/ QUOTE ]
Woah, how does a college student "come into" 7 mil?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for low risk options that still offer a decent return

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're planning on living any sort of reasonable college life you could live off of U.S. treasury bond interest and still have a pile of cash left over.

[ QUOTE ]
Also I'll be investing 5MIL for a friend.

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF?? What banks are you guys robbing?

[ QUOTE ]
She works as a showgirl in vegas

[/ QUOTE ]
Is she retarded. Tell her to quit that [censored].

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Walk into a bank and tell them you have 8 figures burning a hole in your pocket. They'll talk as slow as you want.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Due to her previous drug addiction she's giving me half the money

[/ QUOTE ]
LOLLERSKATES! What does this even mean?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The FDIC will only insure a limited amount per bank account (that I can't recall)

[/ QUOTE ]

$100,000 per person per institution

Some banks will have alternative insurance for you funds above and beyond that, but $100K is the FDIC coverage, PER INSTITUTION.