Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 01:11 PM

Default mahatma broke?

The legendary Matt Flynn made a statement that surprised me in a MHNL thread. He believes Mahtama is an overall losing player.

I've always liked Friedman, ever since he made an anti-war speech after winning a WSOP bracelet. He's also a sick poker player, but that's less important to me than his politics.

Anyone have thoughts on the idea that Mahatma is broke? How can he be a losing player and still have the bankroll to play in these huge games? Who is staking him? I know a lot of well-known players are essential broke, but these seems to be old school gamblers who have been around forever. They are part of a different era than Mahtama. Do online pros get staked the same ways as live pros? How does all of this work?

I guess one possibility is that he's taken some of his winnings and invesnted them in the stock market. Other sources of income keep him from being broke.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: mahatma broke?

[ QUOTE ]
The legendary Matt Flynn made a statement that surprised me in a MHNL thread. He believes Mahtama is an overall losing player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link? (or was this from a long time ago? I think I may have read it if it was over two months ago.)
Old 11-14-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link? (or was this from a long time ago? I think I may have read it if it was over two months ago.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's misquoted. Flynn was on about people adjusting to sr's continuing bets make him a losing player in that game at the time.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:07 PM

It's definitely mis-quoted.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's definitely mis-quoted.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just re-read the thread and now I get it. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's also a sick poker player, but that's less important to me than his politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, his politics is exactly why I hate that douchebag.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:31 PM

Well, you are from Huston. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm from Red China.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:17 PM

Mahatma had a run of hugely overbetting the pot all-in with far too high a (bluff/little hand:big hand) ratio. Even I, who had only played him a few hundred hands, knew to induce and to call those huge all-in bets. Full-stack errors of that frequency are insurmountable. Either Prahlad backs off or does it vs donkeys only or goes broke. At that point, he was a losing player.

Nothing to say Prahlad cannot make a simple adjustment and move on. Likely he did. I have not payed attention and have not played him in months.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mahatma had a run of hugely overbetting the pot all-in with far too high a (bluff/little hand:big hand) ratio. Even I, who had only played him a few hundred hands, knew to induce and to call those huge all-in bets. Full-stack errors of that frequency are insurmountable. Either Prahlad backs off or does it vs donkeys only or goes broke. At that point, he was a losing player.

Nothing to say Prahlad cannot make a simple adjustment and move on. Likely he did. I have not payed attention and have not played him in months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing is, when I played against him some last year, I didn't see this strategy at all, even though I was expecting it.