Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-07-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Any quick tips for formatting an HD and installing a new one?

I bought a new HD and it's the pits, so I'm shipping it back to Newegg. The replacement came in today. So later this afternoon, I'm going to wipe the old one clean and install the new one.

1. Although there's nothing important on the HD (I've had it for 2 weeks) I want to wipe it clean before I send it back. What is the best method for doing this?

2. I read on this forum that installing Windows w/o security software is just asking for malware. I only have a Windows XP SP1 install disk. My current plan is to load Windows on the new HD, install ZoneAlarm and McAfee, and then connect to the internet and install the SP2 update. Any other tips?

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2005, 02:36 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Any quick tips for formatting an HD and installing a new one?

http://dban.sourceforge.net/ will thrash any drive if you want a secure delete. BE CAREFUL.

you're only in eminent danger if you have a direct internet connection (e.g. plugging your dsl/cable directly into your pc with no router). pre-sp2 windows xp still has a firewall. install it with no connections (unplug lan, etc). enable the firewall, then plug in and continue.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

pre-sp2 windows xp still has a firewall. install it with no connections (unplug lan, etc). enable the firewall, then plug in and continue.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Windows firewall was released with XPSP2.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:18 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
The Windows firewall was released with XPSP2.

[/ QUOTE ]

no it wasn't. it was upgraded and turned on by default with sp2, but it was present in the original release of xp.