Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Another DVD Burner Question

I just installed a Pioneer DVR-110D DVD burner in my computer.

I went to play a store bought DVD and Real Player said it needed to download additional software. I clicked Ok and then it said it could not find the software for my DVD player.

No software came with the player, so I went online and downloaded what I thought was a driver for my unit. It seemed to install fine, but this didn't fix my problem with trying to play a movie. I'm getting the same thing.

Does anyone know what the problem might be (other than I'm an idiot with these type of things?). I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Another DVD Burner Question

Your question is a little vague.

Are you trying to play a DVD? if so, you will probably need to install a DVD decoder.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:45 AM

Dvd players do not need a driver in windows. I recomend this player: http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVD_Download.jsp
Old 11-03-2005, 12:07 PM

I'm confused. I bought the DVD player you recommended to me about a week ago. It arrived yesterday and I slapped it into my computer.

If you recall, I was trying to play a Seinfeld DVD which was purchased from a store. My old CD player couldn't do that. I was under the impressions that this DVD player you recommended could. However, it won't play for some reason.

I didn't understand the link you just provided. Do I have to BUY something else to get my new DVD player to work?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:09 PM

Yes. I'm trying to play a DVD which was purchased at the store. I can just put this into the DVD player I have hooked up to the TV. But it won't play on my computer.

How do I know which decoder I need and where do I find it? I appreciate the help.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:15 PM

you will have to *obtain* a DVD decoder. The thing with DVD decoders is that they are not free, it sounds like you purchased an OEM drive, as retiail drives typically come with software.

All I can say is that you will have to find a DVD playing program, and it should work find after that. I know there are ways to get this without paying for it if you know where to look.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:23 PM

There is a free trial version there. Try that. And yes I did recomend that burner, it is good. It is not my fault you did not get any player with it. You got the hardware, not the software that you also need.

Last question I will answer here, thanx to everyones bad attitude. Bye bye.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a free trial version there. Try that. And yes I did recomend that burner, it is good. It is not my fault you did not get any player with it. You got the hardware, not the software that you also need.

Here it is for "free":

Last question I will answer here, thanx to everyones bad attitude. Bye bye.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude... I didn't mean any offense. No one said anything was your fault. I appreciated the reco. I just need help getting it to work. That's all.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you will have to *obtain* a DVD decoder. The thing with DVD decoders is that they are not free, it sounds like you purchased an OEM drive, as retiail drives typically come with software.

All I can say is that you will have to find a DVD playing program, and it should work find after that. I know there are ways to get this without paying for it if you know where to look.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I bought it from NewEgg. It seems to me that it should've came with whatever it needs to work. Software, drivers, etc. Whatever..

If I have to pay for something else to get it to work I will. I just need to know where to get it. Where do I go to get this?

MindMindisGoing's mind must be going. I thought he was really knowledgable and cool for helping me out last week, but then he all of a sudden flaked out and got upset. He provided a link that's foreign and doesn't seem to work (at least I don't know how to work it).

Hey guys, sorry if my ignorance about computers is frustrating to some of you. But that's why I came to the Computer Technical HELP forum. To get help!

If I'm answering questions about a poker hand in the mid-limit forum and a guy's still got questions, I don't freak out on him and abandon him in the middle of things.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:12 PM

Was the drive in a colored package or just a box? did it include any cables, screws, manuals, etc?

The thing with DVD is that it's all controlled by the DVD forum, and they don't let people release free players to put it simply. It's not like CD's or other many other media in that respect. Once you get a DVD player installed on your computer, that DVD software will be able to be used by most of your media players, so you can use whatever you want to view it, but you must get some DVD software on there first.