Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Getting \"Working Offline\" message

I just started getting a pop-up telling me I'm working off-line and giving me the option to login to my back-up dial-up account. I have DSL. I can close this message box and uncheck the "working offline" option under "File" in my IE browser and everything resumes as if nothing had happened, but it's annoying.

I'm using a router which I just added a new laptop to yesterday, which was coincidentally (?) about three hours before I began experiencing this problem. I get the pop-up (on my old desktop, not the new laptop) whether or not the new laptop is turned on.

Any ideas or simple fixes?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Getting \"Working Offline\" message

It's kinda funny that people are now registering here for computer tech help, but, whatever.

Have you had the router the whole time and just now hooked up the laptop, or have you been connected directly to the modem before this?

Go into internet options (under the tools menu in IE or in the control panel) and remove any dial up connectiosn under Dial up and VPN settings.

Is your DSL provider a PPPoE connection (you have to put a username and password in?)
Old 10-26-2005, 09:13 PM

Hey, I've been lurking here for a couple of months now and just never figured I had enough poker experience/expertise to contribute. Hopefully, that'll change in the not too distant future. And I've tried to read old posts regarding poker to keep from asking stupid newbie questions. But, in my lurking, it occurred to me that this would be a great place to get an answer to my computer question.

I deleted the dial-up connection as you suggested. I've had the router for nearly a year now with no problems (and two desktops running off it). And I'm not sure about the PPPoE question. I don't have to log in now--it's always on--but I'm sure I must have when I first added it.

Thanks a lot for the help. And, again, I apologize that my first post here wasn't poker related--other than I use it to play on-line.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:24 AM

but did it work or is the problem still there?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:46 AM

Ooops. Sorry for the suspense. So far, so good. It was an intermittent problem so I didn't want to pronounce it cured yet, but it looks very promising. Thanks again.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's kinda funny that people are now registering here for computer tech help, but, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people might have found this forum helpfull after all [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]