Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Computer randomly shuts off

So, ya, recently, my computer shuts off whenever it feels like it. Is this some type of virus?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Computer randomly shuts off

Potentially, but it's also a symptom of overheating or a failing power supply.

I'd recommend checking the Windows Event Viewer to see if there's anything relevent in that (right click on My Comp -> Manage -> Event Viewer, and browse application and system logs). Also, make sure your PC has adaquate ventalation and is free of dust, especially in fans/grills.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:23 PM

Probably not. Your not really providing enough information. Is there any similarities that you've noticed when it reboots? Like it's hot that day. You've got a lot of apps running? Your burning a cd?

Could be a bad power supply. Could be a bad cpu. Bad memory. Overheating cpu. Could be a lot.

Best guess if it's not a fairly new computer and this problem has just started happening, bad memory.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably not. Your not really providing enough information. Is there any similarities that you've noticed when it reboots? Like it's hot that day. You've got a lot of apps running? Your burning a cd?

Could be a bad power supply. Could be a bad cpu. Bad memory. Overheating cpu. Could be a lot.

Best guess if it's not a fairly new computer and this problem has just started happening, bad memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually have 30+ programs running and have had no problems, although it might be catching up. Power supply was the reason for the first 3 shut-offs.

I've had the computer for about 10 months. Only upgrade I've made to it is adding a half a gig of memory (512 to 1024) to the computer. Been meaning to get a stick of a gig or two of memory when I have excess cash.

So it could be memory/power supply.

Btw, running 35 programs right now.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:43 PM

It may not be the power supply, but the power in your home could have surges or drops. Get a good UPS to protect your computer. It also might be overheating of a chip on your motherboard besides the CPU. First, get a UPS or you may be paying for a fried motherboard shortly.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:20 AM

A popular utility for checking your memory can be found here: http://www.memtest86.com

I have a laptop which shuts off because of heat problems. I'll fix that one day, yeah.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:25 PM

Right click on my computer, properties. click the advanced tab. Click on settings under startup and recovery. Check to see if Automaticly restart is checked. I had the same problem and it turned out to be the memory. Hope this helps
Old 10-15-2005, 01:39 AM

Take the cover off. If that solves the problem you know it is heat and you can go from there.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:51 PM

Run some software like Motherboard Monitor or Speed Fan and see what your CPU temperature is. If it's in the 60s, that might be it.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:41 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

Many computer cases come with cheap power supplies. Even if your PSU is rated to 350 or 400 watts, that doesn't always mean it's capable of delivering that much power, or being able to provide stable power at all times.

Computer components (motherboard, etc.) can be sensitive to fluctuations, enough so that a bad PSU can cause you all kinds of headaches.

Unfortunately, computer problems can be caused by so many different factors (memory, motherboard issues, driver issues, etc.) that it can be difficult to diagnose without having lots of spare parts and spare time to test EVERYTHING.

I believe there are power supply testers you can purchase for reasonable prices online, helps to eliminate that as one of the issues without going and replacing all the other more expensive components first.

This is why I custom build my own system, so I know exactly what's in it.

P4 3.0C Ghz overclocked to 3.45Ghz on 230 FSB
MSI Neo2-FISR 875P motherboard
2x512MB of Kingston HyperX PC4000 500mhz DDR
120GB Seagate 7200rpm drive
200GB Seagate 7200rpm drive
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro all-in-wonder 128MB graphics
Modular 500W PSU with modded lighting & fans
Dell 20" LCD Monitor

My system USED to be top of the line, now it's barely middle of the road. Looking to snag a 6800 GT card before I eventually replace in the future with an AMD system for gaming.