Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability

Old 10-08-2005, 12:33 AM

Default can anybody explain the high variance on 6max

can anybody explain the high variance on 6max? It seems much higher than a full table...I just wanted a probability explanation.

thanks in advance,
Troy
Old 10-08-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Re: can anybody explain the high variance on 6max

A no number explination...

With less hands dealt the average winning hand in 6 max will be lower than the average winning hand in a 10 handed game. Thus you find yourself pushing marginal situations alot more often.

You are also involved in more hands (as a % of hands dealt) thus good and bad streaks can happen very quickly as you will be playing many hands.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:11 AM

According to polls in various forums (and my own PokerTracker data), the variance is not much higher in 6-max games than full games.

It may feel higher because you get more hands per hour. It may feel higher because you get larger downswings when your advantage is not as great, and many people are better at full ring games than 6-max games.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:17 PM

what about the fact that over 100 hands, you happen to be betting/playing a larger % of hands in 6 max than you are in full ring? I would think the more hands you play, the higher the volatility.

as an example if you play 25/100 hands in full ring and bet 3bbs in each if you lose/win them all you lose 75bbs/100 (or win 750bbs), in SH you play 35/100 hands....
Old 10-08-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about the fact that over 100 hands, you happen to be betting/playing a larger % of hands in 6 max than you are in full ring? I would think the more hands you play, the higher the volatility.

[/ QUOTE ]
Short-handed games produce more blind-stealing and more heads-up pots, which decreases variance. Large, multiway pots mean more variance.

A priori, it's not clear whether one effect would dominate. However, I don't see how you can argue with the PokerTracker data, which shows that short-handed games have only slightly higher variance than full games.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:53 PM

YOu are compelld t play more hands in 6-max because of the higher costs. The velocity of the blinds coming through you is almost twice what you get at a full ring table. This effectively doubles the cost of doing business. For this reason and the others already mentioned you must play more hands.